Gibson Super Truck is AWESOME!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-1999, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Gibson Super Truck is AWESOME!!!

I installed the Gibson SuperTruck exhaust system yesterday and it is very nice!! You can really hear the engine purrr now. It isnt very loud compared to some of the dual exhaust trucks I seen. I was hoping it wont be to loud, it is just right. At highway speed (60-80MPH) it isnt real noticeable. But when you put you foot on the gas you can hear her come alive!

Installation want that bad, removing the factory exhaust was kind of a headache and my dull saw blade didnt help the matters.

One question though...how would I know if I had an exhaust leak? Since this is my first time doing something like this I like to make sure everything is right.

Old 07-12-1999, 08:03 AM
I'm assuming your truck is a 98, based on your nickname. Where does the exhaust exit, ahead or behind, the rear tire?

Exhaust leaks can be tricky to locate. Depending on the location of the leak, you may be able to actually hear it when the motor is under load. I had this situation with my old truck. The leak was bad enough that if you hovered your hand over the leak, you could feel the gasses escaping. Over time, you may notice discoloration at the areas where the leaks are. See the black inside your old tailpipe, that's the discoloration you're looking for. It's very distinct & should be easy to catch. An old trick with the hog when mounting pipes up to the header.... smear the joint with Hi Temp copper RTV, prior to assembly. Hope this helps.
LM

------------------
'99 Black F250 SC 4x4 4.6L 5Sp 3.73LS
Bug Shield, 'Snapless' Tonneau, Alarm, K&N FIPK.
Plenty of mods in the plans.

Old 07-12-1999, 07:00 PM
The SuperTruck exhaust is in front of the rear tire. Really looks nice with those two rectangular chrome tips sticking out a little. I heard about the problem with the exhaust turning the rear tire green or someting. I spoke with a couple of guys with this system and they said they dont have any problems with that. Probably that Ford stock muffler!

Anyway thanks for your tip, I'll keep an eye on it.

------------------
98 F150 XLT SC 4x4, 4.6 V8,Dk Toreador Red, 3.55LS, Extang Saber Tonneau, Black Westin Nerf bars,Superchip
K&N air filter

[This message has been edited by 98XLT (edited 07-12-1999).]

Old 08-11-1999, 01:48 PM
super-truck is the way to go...installed it the other day! i was so impressed my the sound and the performance...highly recommend.

Old 08-11-1999, 02:09 PM
Wanna find the exhaust leak fast? Put a hand over the pipe and someone do the looking. This takes about 5 minutes at best

------------------
1999 F250 SD CC, LWB, 5.4L, Auto, 4x4, Power TT mirrors w/ marker lights installed, White, Full Tint, PendaPro SR,
Flowmaster Delta 40 series, open airbox w/ K&N filtercharger.

Old 08-11-1999, 07:40 PM
...another very satisfied Gibson supertruck owner!!! The install couldn't be easier, and the sound couldn't be sweeter!

Old 08-17-1999, 01:23 AM
Hey guys and gals,
Did any of you install the Gibson Supertruck exhaust AND have factory installed running boards. The Gibson people told me that it would melt them. Gotta find away around that! If no Running boards out there could someone tell me how close my running boards might be to the closest or (hottest?) parts of the system. I have one more idea. Does it look like a thin heat shield could be mounted between them?

------------------
'98 XLT 4.6 SC 4x2,
Black SB flareside,
ARE Tonneau,
Lined,
Tinted,
Deflected,
Mini-Disked,
Amped,
Subbed 2x12,
K&Ned,
B-B-B-M-F
Goin' thru tires fast.

Trending Topics

Old 08-19-1999, 12:24 AM
I see you have the super cab. how far back do your factory boards go? I will measure the exhaust location if it helps you. I'd hate to see someone deprived of a Supertruck!!!!

------------------
'97 F-150 4.6L lariat 4x4 flareside. k&n genII, gibson super truck, hella ralleye 2000 lights, JET module,BFG285/75/16 on MT challenger 16x8 wheels, just ordered the JBA coated headers from Steve online

Old 08-19-1999, 01:18 AM
Talking

Hi WSECTION,
Man I,ve searched and read and posted (just started a new topic) trying to find some assistance. My boards go to the aft end of the cab only. Then the truck bed starts. I am not sure how far up under my boards go but if there is a 2 to 3 inch gap between your system and the edge of the door (frame?) I'm probably gonna chance it. If I have to I'll install a baffle (if room).
Thank you very much for any info.
One more thing if you don't mind. How wide are the double rectangular tips (if that's what you have)?

TIA again!!

------------------
'98 XLT 4.6 SC 4x2,
Black SB flareside,
ARE Tonneau,
Lined,
Tinted,
Deflected,
Mini-Disked,
Amped,
Subbed 2x12,
K&Ned,
B-B-B-M-F
Goin' thru tires fast.

Old 08-19-1999, 01:35 PM
About nine inches each (I think)

Old 08-19-1999, 11:07 PM
Hey WSECTION,

I don't think the exhaust is what they say is going to melt my running boards. It's the heat generated by the muffler running along side my running boards. I looked at my RB's and they stop flush with the edge of the chassis. I also think I can install a heat baffle along the supports they use to mount the RB's if required. What I don't know is how far the ST's muffler is from the edge of the chassis.

Thanks ,
Mark G

Old 08-19-1999, 11:29 PM
give me your email address and I will send you close up pictures of the exhaust pipes exiting the truck, then you can decide. I believe if you used round tips instead of the rectangular tips you will have a little extra clearance. you can also play with the mounting brackets a little bit.

Old 08-20-1999, 06:46 PM
Talking

Hey there WSECTION,
That Will work and I do appreciate the efforts.
Email- MarkAGillu@aol.com

Mark G

------------------
'98 XLT 4.6 SC 4x2,
Black SB flareside,
ARE Tonneau,
Lined,
Tinted,
Deflected,
Mini-Disked,
Amped,
Subbed 2x12,
K&Ned,
B-B-B-M-F
Goin' thru tires fast.

Old 08-21-1999, 01:42 AM
mark g; glad to help, just give me a day to get those pics to you. or...where in CT will you be?

Old 08-21-1999, 04:14 PM
Hey WSECTION'
I'll be in Hamden, CT for about two weeks,
I'll get there tomorrow night.
You can e-mail them any time or if your up in the area maybe I can just check out your truck!

Lemme Know.
Mark G

Quick Reply: Gibson Super Truck is AWESOME!!!