Steeda Headers Going to Really Make a Difference ? Any Drawbacks ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-1999, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Steeda Headers Going to Really Make a Difference ? Any Drawbacks ?

I have a 1993 FORD F-150, 2WD, FLare Side, 302, automatic trans. The truck is all stock except for a K&N Air Filter. I am wanting to get a little more power and a little better sound from the truck. So I am thinking about ordering some Headers from STEEDA AUTOSPORTS I don't want to replace the Cat-Back yet because the guy who I just bought the truck from had just put on a brand new factory cat-back and I don't want to just throw it away. I was wondering, do headers usually make any noticable difference in power and sound on a truck with the stock cat-back ? I figured I can expect about a 5hp gain would this be about right? Also are there any kind of drawbacks to having headers ? Do they hurt any sensors or cause any damage to anything ? I don't want to hurt the reliabilty of the truck any at all thats one of the reasons why i bought it because my old car had 168,000 miles on it and it was giving me lots of trouble. So please let me know what you guys think about this.

Thanks

Old 09-15-1999, 05:18 PM
Cool

Come on guys someone help me !

Old 09-15-1999, 05:33 PM
I would thing you would gain more horses than that but I would like to know the answer myself to the reliability question.

------------------
1997 4x4 5.4 ORP XLT extended cab Dark Toreador red Westin nerf bars tint HARDER THAN A ROCK AND FASTER THAN A HEART BEAT

Old 09-15-1999, 11:36 PM
Cool

Installing headers on your 93 F150 with the factory catback system would give you very little benefit as long as you have them on for the simple reason that the factory catback was meant to pass certain emissions & sound level so therefore it restricts the flow rate of spent exhaust gas, a good example of this would be like trying to "breath through a plugged nose". You might gain 10 hp but you wouldn't feel the difference that much. As far as reliability, you won't have any problems whatsoever as long as the headers come with the fitting provisions for the factory O2 sensors. What i would recommend before you put in the headers is to invest in an aftermarket catback freeflow exhaust system like Jardine,Flowmaster,Gibson...Then if you decide to install some headers i would recommend the Jba headers here on line!! This will definitely provide with a big difference!! Or you can call Mike Troyer of superchips and put one of his chip on your truck and that would be even cheaper than the exhaust or header system and will definitely give your 302 a good wake up call!! Hope this helps & good luck to ya!!

------------------
97 F-150: 5.4 with Jet chip for engine & tranny,Jet intake system, Jardine catback, Momo Vantage rims (18 x 8.5) on BFG 295 x 45 x ZR 18's, 2/4" drop via Eibach suspension, Cord Design flares, Stull billet grille, Boston Acoustics Pro Series speakers (subs,mids,tweets), Crossfire dual amplifier (700 watts) & Eq, *******'s hard toneau cover w/ marine bedliner, 9007 headlight bulbs, white face gauges, magnesium alloy sport pedals.

Future mods: Paxton Supercharger,Superchip, HID headlight system, Alpine/Macintosh audio video & Navigational System, 4.10 rear gears

Old 09-16-1999, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the reply

Old 09-16-1999, 04:11 PM
Hey BMW325-

I put a Borla cat back on my '93 when it was brand new and it was the best mod I could have done. I could really feel the difference in power. Its worth the money. I thought about putting headers on, but was told it wouldn't help that much. If I were you, get the cat back first. The factory exhaust is very restrictive.

------------------
'93 Regular Cab XLT Shortbed, 5.0, K&N, Borla, 160,000 miles; Future SuperCrew owner.

Old 09-17-1999, 10:54 AM
I have a '92 302 Flareside and I gave it a wakeup call last month by installing Hedman Hedders and a Flowmaster 50 series muffler with 3" pipe from the 'Y' pipe. from the headers to the 'Y' I kept the factory small diameter pipe and in doing that I could keep the O2 sensor plugged in the same spot. Headers came with a plug for the O2 but I didn't need to move it. I got rid of the 2 cat. converters as well but you may not be able to do that in the States. The 3" exits just in front of the passenger rear wheel that way I saved money cause they don't have to fool around with routing and bending + the cost of more pipe, and it looks REAL good there. It has tons more juice now and it sounds real throaty. Hope this helped.

Dean

------------------
'92 F-150 Flareside R/C "Electric Red" 5.0L
mods: K&N FIPK, Hypertech chip, Hedman Hedders, 3" exhaust, 50 series Flowmaster.

Trending Topics

Old 09-17-1999, 01:27 PM
BMW - When I had my dual system put on my 99 F150 I made a point to ask about headers. The guy told me that if you're going racing, he'd recommend it, but for the street, it just wouldn't be worth it. The performance gain would be minimal, and in addition to the increased noise in the cab (due to a header's thin-wall design) you'd have the headache of re-torque-ing the manifold bolts every so often. I'd look at either the cat-back, or better still, have them open up a true dual system if you have twin cats. Best of luck!

Old 09-17-1999, 01:43 PM
Thumbs down

Ok forget that crap. I was afraid I would have to tighten those bolts ever so often I don't feel like doing that so I don't think I will fool with headers thanks.

Old 09-17-1999, 03:31 PM
I guess everyone's had different experiences with headers. Another customer I was chatting with when I bought my headers said he tightened them once after they heated up and cooled down and hadn't had to retighten them again. He's had them for 10 years.

The FIPK sounds awesome, kinda like Darth Vader breathing when you fire it up and loud when you gun it. I've heard good and bad things about the FIPK (air is too warm being brought in) but I noticed an increase in throttle response.

------------------
'92 F-150 Flareside R/C "Electric Red" 5.0L
mods: K&N FIPK, Hypertech chip, Hedman Hedders, 3" exhaust, 50 series Flowmaster.

Old 09-18-1999, 12:08 AM
Thumbs up

Obliterator: Cool, how do you like your FIPK ? Did it make a pretty good difference ? And does it make that really cool intake sound ?

Quick Reply: Steeda Headers Going to Really Make a Difference ? Any Drawbacks ?