Are Headers worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-1999, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Are Headers worth it?

Does anyone have JBA or Gibson headers and have you noticed any performance improvements? How much louder is it?

------------------
'99 F150 XLT,Wedgewood Blue, 4.6 V8, SC, Penda liner, K&N filter,
Superchip, Gibson 3" stainless single

Old 08-09-1999, 10:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I saw a thread somewhere else on this site that gave headers the big thumbs up.

------------------
99 XLT 5.4l reg cab
5 star larait style wheels
Toreador red 2tone
3.55 gears
255/70/16 OWL
Delta toolbox
Eclipse cd player
Sherwood amp
subwoofer coming soon
More mods as funds become avalible.

Old 08-10-1999, 03:20 PM
Thumbs up

Just instaled JBA headers last night. I still have the factory muffler and tail pipe. There is a slightly different tone to the exhaust, it sounds better to me but the average passerby probably wouldn't know you have headers on.

I've only driven it for 2 short distances and there is a little more noise from under the hood when you are in the throttle. Otherwise it is no louder in the cab than stock.

It seems to have more power, I've got to drive it a little more to get a better feel for it though.

Old 08-11-1999, 01:35 AM
Dave R.

If you really want to take advantage of the JBAs, put a catback on your truck. You will not get full advantage of the headers until you open up the rest of the exhaust. Especially the stock muffler is very restrictive.

Old 08-11-1999, 01:26 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That's a very good point, using headers with the factory exhaust system does not let you get the full benefit. It's nice to know that it all bolts right up though!

The JBA headers are worth 14 hp on the 4.6, and 17 hp on the 5.4, from the numbers that we've seen on them, so I think that is worthwhile.

I've always been fan of headers, simply because they do work, they will add some power, and can help fuel mileage as well when cruising. They won't have the bang-for-the-buck that a Superchip does, but then nothing does!

We highly recommend headers for any vehicle whose owner is looking for more power, and already has a Superchip. We also recommend that you reduce restriction on the intake side, by using at least a K&N air filter, if not one of the kits that completely eliminates the factory airbox, like the Airaid unit available right here in the F150online store!

If you can install the neaders yourself, you'll save considerable labor dollars, making headers an even better bang-for-the-buck.

JBA makes a great set of headers for these trucks, and if memory serves, our Webmaster Steve Eppinger had a group purchase deal on JBA headers, so you might want to check with Steve to see if that deal is still available, or look in the F150online store.

Good luck to all,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 08-11-1999, 03:35 PM
Cool

Thanks everyone for the input on headers. I should have included my signature, I do have a Superchip, Gibson exhaust (too quiet though...I'll save that for another thread) and K&N filter. I'm trying to determine what is the next good performance improvement to make. I do like the way it runs now with the mods so far but this performance stuff is so addicting.

------------------
'99 F150 XLT,Wedgewood Blue, 4.6 V8, SC, Penda liner, K&N filter,
Superchip, Gibson 3" stainless single

Old 08-11-1999, 07:37 PM
DaveR:
how did the header install go? I've got mine sitting in a box in the garage waiting for me!! I am feeling a little intimidated though. A little support would be helpful!

Trending Topics

Old 08-11-1999, 08:43 PM
Wink

The cat-back is next, one step at a time you know... Of course maybe I'm doing it backwards! haha

Mike,
Installed my chip last week. Thanks, (sorry again about that mistake). That really woke it up and as far as performance mods go they don't come much easier than that! 10-15 minutes and I was done.

As far as the header install goes it wasn't too bad. Struggled a little with the EGR tube, the dipsitck didn't want to let go, but otherwise no major problems.

I took some pictures and did a little write up for Steve or whomever to post for the product reviews, if they want. I haven't had any responce yet. Send me your e-mail address and you can have it. It's done in Word 97, anyone is welcome to have it, roughly 1.9mg with the pics.

daver@erie.net

------------------
``````````````
'98 F-150 STX, 4.6L, 5 spd. RC, short flareside, Line-X. Just starting to modify

Old 08-11-1999, 09:28 PM
DaveR:
I would appreciate it if you could send me your pics and narrative. It looks like this is going to be a good weekend for installing headers! I've got the K&N FIPK and Gibson cat-back already, as well as, er, um, a JET module. I've already convinced myself I NEED a Superchip, if for nothing more than shift improvement. anyway my address is j.granquist@worldnet.att.net

------------------
'97 F-150 4.6L lariat 4x4 flareside. k&n genII, gibson super truck, hella ralleye 2000 lights, JET module,BFG285/75/16 on MT challenger 16x8 wheels, just ordered the JBA coated headers from Steve online

Old 08-13-1999, 09:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have many previous posts on headers. I have them on my 98 4.6. The install took all day but it really was not hard. The only special tools I used were a dremel tool to grind 1/8 inch clearance for a bolt near the engine mount and a jack to jack up the engine to get the headers into place. I used the stock manifold studs on all but 2 spots as I feel the self locking stud nuts (stainless) are of much higher quality than the regular steel bolts that came with my JBA/Gibson headers. 7000 mi with no probs.
There is quite a bit more noise in the cabin due to the thin wall design of the stainless headers. I put more insulation above the drivers feet and it is as quiet as stock now.
The performance gain is really not much, according to my G-tech the 0-60 and 1/4 are less than .1 sec different. the trap speeds are exactly the same. The engine has a little less low end now and a little more top end. I believe that is the reason for the non improvement in 1/4 mile performance. HOWEVER, the truck is faster on the highway during a downshift and pass.

Chris

------------------
98 SC 4.6L stepside, Gibson headers, Gibson single exhaust, superchip, Intake mods, Piaa's, high end audio stuff.

Old 08-13-1999, 01:27 PM
Banned
Question

So if I can't do both headers and a cat-back or muffler change at the same time, which is better to do first, a header or cat-back/muffler swap?

I have noticed a huge torque increase with the Hypertech PPIII, but want even more low to mid range torque, primarily for towing and for just smoother acceleration under normal driving conditions. I do not race my truck so that is not of importance.

Old 08-20-1999, 07:59 PM
Thumbs up

DaveR,
Thank you much for your product review sent via E-Mail. It's people like you who make F-150 Online such a great web site!

Your pictures and comments of your JBA Headers installation will be of great help to me. I may have to wait a couple of more weeks for mine to be delivered because I am getting the silver ceramic coating.

You did a great job of documenting your efforts, and Steve should get it on the site ASAP!

Thanks again,
JimMc

------------------
Superchipped...Edelbrock IAS...Gibson Sport Truck...K&N W/Airbox Mod...
ON THE WAY: Centerline Fluted Star Billet 16" Wheels and BFG 285 16 75 All Terrain AT...JBA Headers from 150 online store jimmac@ismi.net

Quick Reply: Are Headers worth it?