Cat Convertor Qa?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 01:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cat Convertor Qa?

Hello All
2002XL5sp4.2regcb4x2
Well I installed a Fordchip and am very happy with the results.
My exhaust has woken up big time with better air fuel timing It really roars, rumbles and pops now. There is one concern with the truck that has me baffled and I believe is limiting my performance. I have a almost stock exhuast system with a MAC high flow muffler and a custom SIDO all 2.5". It definitely seems to ping from the collectors allot more. The metalic expansion is outrageous. It sounds like a midget with a ballpeen hammer is living in my collectors. I also notice when it gets hot out 80ish and above the exhaust runs flat. It almost feels like there is a partial blockage or something. You can feel the increased air and fuel from the chip and the engine just purrs but there seems to be something restricting the flow down under. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this? Is there a way to test to see if it's flowing correctly? Should I consider replacement cats? Should I rip off the heat sheilds, they are currently worm clamped maybe they are the culprit of the expansion sounds? I have no codes and seems to run OK when it's chilly out.

Old 07-10-2004, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah,those heat shields are a b*tch to keep from rattlin and carryin on,i've welded em in place several times and the just keep breakin loose.that's the cheapest and easiest to check so try that first.and with the chip you are dumpin more fuel in to cats which will clog em easier

Quick Reply: Cat Convertor Qa?