Now I'm really not sure what to do

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Now I'm really not sure what to do

I've been reading posts in the exhaust forum for weeks now trying to decide which way I wanted to go. Hoentsly I am looking for a little more power, a little more mileage and some nice sound. I went by two local shops today to get their opinions. One is a local shop (Flowmaster), one is Midas (Ravin). Basically was told the same thing by both. The only thing replacing my muffler and pipes will do is give me looks and noise. No torque, no mileage, no power. They said the sound might give me the sense of more power but its not there. The only way to get any kind of performance increase is to cut out the cats, replace the O2 sensor and put in a chip. With the cat that is in place, I'm not going to get much more flow from any muffler I put behind it. They said cut out the cat and I'll have all the power I want and a lot better mileage. This came from both places, either of which I was prepared to drop some cash at.

So... my dilema... 03 Screw 5.4.......

I use it to haul the family around in so why put up with the noise (they said it would be there no matter what performance muffler I put on), if I'm not going to get anything out of it?

Now what.... Like I said.. I've been reading the posts but now I am more confused than ever. Am I now just after the looks and sound? Should I just get them to split the exhaust and put some tips on it for the looks? I feel like these guys were being straight with me, cause surely they would want my money.

Old 03-23-2004, 06:45 PM
I think they both sound uninformed. The multi-cat setup on your truck flows very well and certainly adequate for a stock to mildly modified 5.4. The muffler is what has low flow. If you want improved power and sound, the easiest thing IMHO to do is to just change out the muffler ONLY with a nice stainless steel, straight through design muffler in 2.5". To go all out with an optimal setup would require replacing the Y-Pipe or going duals to remove it. There are a number of issues to deal with in doing this and it's only fully utilized on a modified engine. The only smart thing they seemed to mention was to get a chip.

Old 03-24-2004, 01:48 PM
Checked another place today. They want to put on a Flowmaster 50 Series SI/DO. 3.5" chrome 16" tips. $205 installed plus tax. Does this sound like the way to go. Is there anything I should be weary of? How are the 50 series with interior noise? Gotta keep it down some, 4 year old, 2 year old and one on the way!!!

Old 03-24-2004, 05:38 PM
IMO a flowmaster is the way to go sound wise. A 50 series will be loader than a 50 series delta flow. A 70 series will be quiter than the 50 DF. I have a 40 series si/do on my 97 you hear on acc. but at highway speed I don't even know its there. I don't think its load enough, others say its to load, its all your opinion.
You might also want to to consider a magnaflow. I haven't head on in person but from what people say its not to load. do a search for Magnaflow and you can read a lot of reviews.

Travis

Old 03-24-2004, 06:41 PM
OK.... stopped by the shop that said they could do a 50 series for me for $205. It was actually a 40 series.... First guy I talked to "forgot" which one was on sell. So... they had just finished a 4.7 (?) 2003 Chevy with a 40 series, so i got in it a cranked it up. Ok.... that's loud. A bit much for me I think. He said the Ford might be a bit softer since it has the 4 cats versus 2 on the Chevy. Still though.... windows up giving it a little gas... and it was damn loud.... in my opinion anyway.

They said they could do the 50 series or any of the magnaflows for about $280 (have to wait for those to be ordered though). So... doing some more research.

Am I correct in understanding that a SI/SO setup will give me better flow/power/mpg than the SI/DO? After reading and reading and reading and reading..... the magnaflow 15609 catback or something comparable put together SI/SO might give me more of the results I want. More performance, nice tone and not a splitting headache (is 30 really supposed to feel this old).

Old 03-24-2004, 09:19 PM
OK... more thinking out loud..... any feedback would be great

Here's what I am thinking to get the best combo of sound and performance:

Magnaflow 15609 welded on and replace the factory Y with a Magnaflow 10768.

If any one has any suggestions on something similar to the kit that will save me a few bucks... I'm listening. Cheapest I see my self getting out with this setup is about $500. $437 for the kit, $38 for the Y pipe and then the install.....

Old 03-25-2004, 06:01 PM
More stuff to really SCREW me up. Called Magnaflow, the 15609 won't fit an 03 Screw. Looks like I'll still be going Magnaflow, probably 13958 Muffler, 15308 pipe and 35107 tip.

Come on guys, give me some feedback. Does this sound like a good way to go? Or maybe drop the exhaust idea and do an intake first. Hmm.... lets go check out that board!!!!

Old 03-25-2004, 08:01 PM
i replaced my muffler with a magnaflow round style stainless steel muffler......kept all the factory pipe except the one behind the new muffler....replaced it with 3'' stainless and added a nice tip...looks and sounds great...not very loud atall.....not sure what the model # was but it was the 7'' round with 3'' exit...cost with stainless tip was 150.00 installed....

Old 03-26-2004, 07:52 AM
Nicho,

I was in the same boat you are in...........TWICE. About 2 years ago, I had a 97 4.6, I wanted to see a little increase in power and mpg's and a little sound. I put on a dynomax muffler, just switched it for stock. In the beginning, the sound was there, but wasn't too happy with it. That was after reading and researching for 4 or 5 months.

In January, I traded my 97 in for my '04 4.6. And I started thinking about it and researching again. The bolt on cat-back systems seemed like a reasonable way to got. Unfortunately, money is tight. So, I went with the magnaflow, SI/SO and a 3 1/2 stainless steel tip.

I am extremely happy with what I got. It sounds great, it's got a nice rumble at WOT then mellows out at cruising speed. Not a lot of noise in the cab, which with your growing family is what you need. I can feel a little increased oomph (but, could all be in my head). As for the gas mileage, well I can't attest to that quite yet. But then I don't know that I could ever, I only had 1100 miles on my truck when I had the exhaust done.

Here's a link to pics of my muffler and tip. If you'd like the email and phone number to the guy I got them from, let me know. He has excellent prices. I ordered before 3pm one day and received the shipment less than 24 hours later. Hope this helps. TJ

http://ftw.truckmoxie.com/account-ph...sp?album=31203

Old 03-26-2004, 12:56 PM
Couldn't get to your gallery, but I would like the contact info. Sounds like the way I need to go.

So I stopped by the local shop again today to get the cost on the SI/SO Magnaflow, 3 inch pipe and tips. Told them thats the way I wanted to go for less noise and that it was my understanding that the SO would actually flow a little better (this is what my call to Magnaflow confirmed too). The guys reponse was "That just don't make no sense at all". Seems he disagrees with the flow of single versus dual theory that I have. I then asked about getting mandrel bent pipes for the install and again I quote "There ain't a mandrel bent pipe in the state of Alabama. I got some pipes I bend myself and they work pretty good."

Took a look at those pipes, seems that in the bends they were squeezed down by about 1/3. Big suprise there.

Hmmm..... I think I might want to use a different shop. So... I guess I'll just order exactly what I decide I want and find a place to install it.

So if anyone has an 03 Screw with a single exhaust and mandrel bent pipes and know what part numbers they used I would be very grateful for the time saved.

Old 03-26-2004, 01:11 PM
I can't speak for Magnaflow users but I have a Flowmaster 50 Series DF and love it. It has mild interior cabin sound and reasonable loud exterior sound. You can definitely hear it at WOT.

Think of it as going to a party and getting noticed as soon as you walk into the room. Your presence is definitely noticed but there was no need to shout.

I also run Magnaflow stainless steel exhaust tips which add their own little resonnance to the choir LOL but that's another story. I just went with Magnaflow for tips since Flowmaster doesn't make any good looking tips.

Old 03-26-2004, 01:37 PM
Nicho,

Here you go, he'll hook you up, go with the 18" si/so, that is what I have and I love it.

Brad
PerformancePeddler.com
Your Performance Parts Supplier
1-866-399-4215

There are mandrel bent pipes, you may not get them there in Alabama, but you can get them. Magnaflow have some that are something like $38 a piece. Get on the net and look up Full Line Exhaust. They have them from I think Flowmaster.
http://www.fulllineexhaust.com/ there, I saved you the trouble. Get the pipe(s) from them and the muffler from Brad. Then call around and tell the shops what you have and ask them how much it'll cost to have it installed. If I can help any more, let me know.

TJ