P0240:Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 14)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0240:Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 14)

I just took my 160K mi '97 4.2L V6 F-150 through the Washington State Emmissions test and failed with a "P0240:Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 14)" result.

I sort of expected this because I had bought the truck with a seized engine in the first place. I pulled the plugs, turned it over and a bunch of water came out of about half the plug holes. Then I put in a new set of plugs and added some "magic liquid radiator block repair". It started right up with plenty of vibrations and smoke. After driving it that way for a few miles, it got real loud. I looked under and one of the 4 cats had melted through. opps.

So I sent it out for a $3000 long block. It came back running great, but the exaust was still loud. Ford wanted $1500 for factory replacement cats. The corner auto store had 3 ft sections of straight pipe for $5 each. Guess which I choose.

Anyway, now I fail the emissions test. EBay has cats for $32 each. I'm leaning that way, but I'm confused what bank 14 means. It's also giving a P0430, bank 2.

Anyone have expierence with cheap ebay cats? I've also heard that wrapping your rear 02 sensors in foil with make my existing "cats" work better. anyone have expierence with that?

Thanks,

Ray

Quick Reply: P0240:Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 14)