Duals or Three inch single out, which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2001, 12:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Duals or Three inch single out, which is better?

I was talking with a local muffler shop and they said that Duals are just for show, they don't help perfomance to much. They also said that a high performance muffler with a three inch single pipe out would increase proformance and MPG better than the duals! Is this true or is he trying to pull my chain! Anyone out there have either one on a 98 triton V8 5.4l, if so tell me what you think and what i should go for! any hel p would be appreciated!

Old 06-14-2001, 12:37 AM
he is right. duals are really for looks unless they are done properly. a single 3 inch system on a small block V8 will give better performance than most duals. many of the dual systems will lose some torque.

Old 06-16-2001, 11:47 PM
I just recently installed the three inch single with a flowmaster y-pipe and a dynamax flow through muffler. The best thing I did was replace the factory y-pipe with the flowmaster y. My truck runs a lot smoother and has a real deep mellow tone. When I looked inside the factory y-pipe where the drivers side connects to the passenger side the opening was only about 1 1/4 opening for the driver side. The pipe itself is 2 1/4" so you lost about a 1 inch opening on that side. When your driving down the road at 55 mph with the stock exhaust system probably not going to effect anything much. Make sure you change the y-pipe so you get even flow from both sides. This will help your performance and fuel economy.

Old 06-18-2001, 11:34 AM
I'm curious, how much does a mod like this cost roughly?, thank you

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by White knight 51:
I just recently installed the three inch single with a flowmaster y-pipe and a dynamax flow through muffler. The best thing I did was replace the factory y-pipe with the flowmaster y. My truck runs a lot smoother and has a real deep mellow tone. When I looked inside the factory y-pipe where the drivers side connects to the passenger side the opening was only about 1 1/4 opening for the driver side. The pipe itself is 2 1/4" so you lost about a 1 inch opening on that side. When your driving down the road at 55 mph with the stock exhaust system probably not going to effect anything much. Make sure you change the y-pipe so you get even flow from both sides. This will help your performance and fuel economy.</font>

Quick Reply: Duals or Three inch single out, which is better?