Installing Borla

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Installing Borla

I just purchased a borla cat-back system and am deciding whether to install myself or take it to a muffler shop. The gentleman at truckperformance.com said that you could install it yourself, what do you think? What would be the instalation price that I should expect?

Old 06-11-2001, 06:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The hard part is just getting the old system off. If you have the right tools, it's easy, but still takes some time.

Another thing.... Unless you have a welder, you'll have to use the clamps that are supplied with the kit. While, these work, they are ugly and they will leak. I got lucky and the muff shop I took mine to only charged me 20 bucks, but didn't write it up, so I'm sure the guy just pocketed the $20. I didn't care, he cut the old out, put the new in and welded all the joints. Only took him a half hour. I spent 45 minutes just trying to get the old one out myself before packing it all up and going to his shop.

Most people have been charged $50-$100 for shops to put them in from other posts I've seen. Good Luck.

------------------
1997 F150 4x4 Off Road, SuperCab, Short Box, 5.4, Royal Blue/Silver, K&N, Gibson SS, LT265/75/16 Wild Country APT's

Old 06-13-2001, 06:45 PM
I got a quote here in Louisville for a Borla catback for the Screw of 605$ plus 150$ to install. Is this reasonable or what? The same guy offered to install Rancho 9000's for 86$ plus 10$ per shock for installation which I thought was a bit high.
Thanks.

Old 06-13-2001, 07:06 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Screwdriver:
I got a quote here in Louisville for a Borla catback for the Screw of 605$ plus 150$ to install. Is this reasonable or what? The same guy offered to install Rancho 9000's for 86$ plus 10$ per shock for installation which I thought was a bit high.
Thanks.
</font>
Sounds a bit high for either of them. That Borla must be a dual stainless setup?? It better be for that price!! I've got a catalog that lists the RS9000 adjustable for only $72.80 each. It's from a local 4x4 shop, so might just be a special. I got my Gibson SS (aluminized) from them for $279 + tax awhile back.

Old 06-13-2001, 07:36 PM
I just found the Borla for 404$ at truckperformance so I'll call 'em tomorrow and see what all they say. Would like to keep it close to as quiet and definitely don't want to lose torque. So I figured the Borla.s My Supercrew has 5k miles and looks like there might be a hole in the muffler. I'm going to go get underneath it in a minute and verify that.

Old 06-14-2001, 12:05 AM
Thumbs up

I bought my Borla frm Truckperformance as well. $408, i think. The boys at the local Midas shop installed it for me for $80. (I don't have the tools to do it myself). From the time they opened the box until they drove it off the rack, it took about 20 minutes. Looked like a piece of cake. And it's true, the hard part is taking off the old system.
You'll initially be disappointed with the sound. It's very quiet at first. I guess it takes several miles before the computer resets its parameters....I dunno. After about 100 miles or so, I was pleased. Nice, mellow warble that is not obnoxious at all. No drone. No loss of torque. Those of you looking for lots of growl need to go to the Flowmaster or Ravin; but then, you trade off for less HP.

Old 06-14-2001, 07:23 PM
There is a hole in my exhaust. It looks intentional as opposed to a rust hole. Perfectly round hole at the back of the cannister about two pin sizes big. Has black burn exhaust coating around the periphery of the hole. Am I the only one with this hole? 6k miles on new Screw.

Old 06-14-2001, 07:31 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Screwdriver:
There is a hole in my exhaust. It looks intentional as opposed to a rust hole. Perfectly round hole at the back of the cannister about two pin sizes big. Has black burn exhaust coating around the periphery of the hole. Am I the only one with this hole? 6k miles on new Screw.</font>
My stock muffler had it too. I think it is intentional to allow for moisture to escape easier/faster. Had the same thing around all the clamped on joints too. Not a hole, but the obvious signs of exhaust/moisture leaking out. Got the Gibson kit and had all the joints welded. No more leaks!

[This message has been edited by MitchF150 (edited 06-14-2001).]

Old 06-15-2001, 01:00 PM
Minusc,

Depends what truck you have and which system you bought. Borla claims that their split rear entry model number 14808 fits a short bed, regular cab...IT DOESN'T!!!! Had to make some modifications but finally got it on there.

JJ
www.f150world.com/jjboods

Old 06-17-2001, 12:17 AM
evo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

Hi, I installed my Borla dual out the back by myself. I cut the old exhaust off with a sawsall. It took me 3Hrs to install it. I took my time and had no lift. I had to cut about 7" off the pipe where it goes into the Y pipe it has the notched flange on it. The whole install went pretty smooth. I left all the clamps loose until I had everything adjusted. Then I went around and tightened all the clamps up.

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT 4x2 F/S Reg Cab 5.4 3:55LS&lt; Borla Catback Dual Out Back&lt;Kenne-Bell Supercharger 6LB Boost&lt; Soon to be installed: Baumann Shift Kit, Superchip Reprogramed, Lightning Wheels

Old 06-18-2001, 09:43 AM
Question

evo,

Did your hangers fit? Mine were too short and I had to go buy some longer ones.

JJBoods

Quick Reply: Installing Borla