Headers!!! Which ones????

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2001, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Headers!!! Which ones????

Guys,
I have a 98 F-150 4.6L auto. I have been looking into putting headers on my truck. The two brands I have looked at are the JBA and the Pacesetter. I noticed there is a big price difference. Are the JBA that much better. Also is there another header you consider better. Thanks in advance for your help.

------------------
Sniper

Old 02-21-2001, 02:31 PM
Cool

I'm looking for a set of Doug Thorley tri-y headers right now. From what I understand, the tri-y design is awsome for low end torque, the equal length tubes (like you see on all the race cars) are good for high RPM horsepower, amd the shorty headers do pretty much the same thing you stock manifolds do. I do understand that a little increase can be felt with the shorty headers, but not like a tri-y. This, of course, is just what I've heard and read. Take it for what it's worth.

Lok

------------------
1997 F-150 Supercab 4X4,Royal Blue,4.6 V-8, Tow Package,3.55 LS,
K&N FIPK,Performance Accessories 3" body lift,Superchip,
Gibson Supertruck Exhaust,Smitty Nerf Bars,
16X10 Eagle 589's, 315/75-16 A/T's,
Alpine CD,Alpine 5 Channel Amp,PPI 5 X 7's,
Boston 10" Sub.

Pics at: http://www.f150world.com/loknload/

Old 02-22-2001, 01:50 AM
I don't think the long headers will fit on out trucks. There is something(can't remember what it is) about 4-5 inches below the manifold. There might not be enough room to put long headers on with whatever that is in the way.

------------------
1997 XLT Teal 4.6L Flareside 4x4. Automatic, Reg. cab, tinted windows, bug deflector, Dual exhaust, K&N Generation 2 air filter, BullDog keyless entry/remote start(installed myself), Custom 16" wheels, bedliner, Covercraft tonneau cover, electronic shift on the fly. Going to add headers.

Old 02-22-2001, 08:29 PM
Checked the Doug Thorley web site on 2-21-01 and did not see them list any applicationa for 4.6 or 5.4 engines on late model f-150.

------------------
1997 F-150 LARIAT S/C 4x2 Styleside...Pacific Green Exterior/Silver Frost Accent...4.6L Triton (Romeo)...Auto...3.55 Limited Slip...Trailer Tow Pkg...Remote Entry w/ Anti-Theft...Power Everything...

FORD ACCESSORIES Wheel Locks...Molded Vinyl Floor Mats...Sill Plates (Look Great!)...Molded Mud Guards...

AFTERMARKET Deflecto Bedliner...Lund Bug Shield...Ventshield Side Louvers & Taillite Covers...A.R.E. Fibreglass Tonneau Cover...22 Piece Burl Wood Dash Kit...Custom Tweed Hood Insulator Pad...Westin Chrome Step Bars...

PERFORMANCE OPTIONS SVO Lightning Wheels w/ Yokohamo 285/50/18 AVS-ST Tires...Optima Battery...Evergreen F.I.P.G...Superchip YSL2...

STEREO Premium Ford Head Unit...Pac Lineout Convertors...Coustic 3E Crossover...JBL GTQ400 & GTQ200 Amps., Behind Full Functional Backseat...2x JL Audio10W4 Subs ...4 Pioneer 3-Way 6815's In Doors...

WHAT'S NEXT? Powerdyne Supercharger...Cat Back Exhaust...Roush Susp...Ground Effects...???...

Old 02-23-2001, 11:00 AM
Personally, I think you get what you pay for. Check the PaceSetter site and you'll see that they qualify their sales pitch with something like "some modifications may be necessary" or other similar words. JBA's web site gives you detailed installation instructions, not qualifications for why they may not fit. I'm going with JBA this summer. Plan on doing the job myself so I don't need or want any suprise modifications I may not have the tools or skill to do. Besides that, I've been researching what makes a header work and JBA's "Fire Cone" collector makes more sense than anyone else's technology. Maybe hype, but if it is, they do an excellent job of selling.

------------------
98 NASCAR Special Edition
1OF600 w/ Auto & Tonnaue
K&N FIPK
Hypertech Power Prog.
JET 180 degree thermostat
Hellwig SportTech swaybar
Gibson SuperTruck CatBack
Pilot SS Resonated Tips
Shelf-It overhead storage
Hella FF300 Fog Lights in grill.

Old 02-24-2001, 08:26 PM
There has been many treads on this topic and even though JBA's are expensive compare to the Pacesetters, they are ahead based on board members opinions.

Old 03-07-2001, 10:47 PM
I have a 91 F150 with a 5.0 i just bought shortie stainless steel headers for it. the bolted right up to the stock pipes. They were about $280.00 for the pair. Dont know if they make em for the 4.6

Old 03-08-2001, 02:08 AM
Banned
You might want to have a look at f150lightning.com

Quick Reply: Headers!!! Which ones????