Gibson Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Gibson Exhaust

I just purchased gibson dual rear exit exhaust. I have a 2001 F150 5.4l super cab 4x4. The gibson exhaust will not allow you to keep the spare tire if its a 4x4 or if you have 16 inch rims for a 4x2 . I went thru the gibson web site and right to buy on line. I was directed to another web site that only tells you that it may have to be moved. The instructions said if it was 4x4 you had to remove spare. If you had larger than 17 inch wheels you had to remove spare. The pictures on the web sites show the exhaust it looks like 3 pieces but it is 7 and 9 clamps looks like crap. The company will not take it back. Becareful with the small print check all the information. Dont think you know what to order call and ask all kinds of questions. I am now out 300 dollars and am looking for exhaust that will fit without removing the spare. I would like straight out the back. Any suggestions?

Old 01-08-2003, 08:59 PM
Put the Gibson on e-bay, then go to your finest local independent muffler shop (the kind run by the guy who owns it and where he bends his own pipe) and have him put on dual exhausts on your truck. If you just have to hve a Gibson mufler, take it to him for him to install. it will be just as good and cost about half the price.

Old 01-09-2003, 07:40 AM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My magnaflow 2 1/2 inch duel tails installed around my 16 inch spare with room on both sides. I bet even a 17 inch spare would fit. They are each one piece from the muffler out the back (except I added stainless tips). You will have to add hangers but that should not be a problem. If your system is 2 1/2 inch out of the muffler then these pipes are not expensive. You can check here for the best price I found.
Bigexhaust.com

Old 01-09-2003, 08:31 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you installed it? Are you sure this is the system you want? If you like it (other than the spare tire thing), listen to WLF. Get the dual pre-bent tail pipes that Magnaflow makes. One piece (each side) mandrel bent. Whatever tips you have could be cut off the Gibson and put on the Magnafow pipes. About $80 for the pair #15020/15021 at Bigexhaust. This will be cheaper than the cost of pipe and the custom bends in labor charges.

If you haven't done anything with the exhaust yet, eBay may be a good place to sell it and find another system or custom make your own.

Old 01-09-2003, 09:57 AM
Re: Gibson Exhaust

Originally posted by lonewolfsnip
I just purchased gibson dual rear exit exhaust. I went thru the gibson web site and right to buy on line. The pictures on the web sites show the exhaust it looks like 3 pieces but it is 7 and 9 clamps looks like crap. The company will not take it back. Becareful with the small print check all the information. Dont think you know what to order call and ask all kinds of questions. I am now out 300 dollars
Is your Gibson still unused and in the box? OR did you start installing it? Maybe THAT"S why they wont take it back, heh.

If it's still new and unused in the box you should be able to sell it on eBay. I know other parts warehouses like Smmit would take it back if it was unused and still new in the box.

As for all the clamps, if you don't like them you could always have the system welded together.

Old 01-09-2003, 10:44 AM
Relax

Go to any decent muffler shop and have them weld the connections so you dont have the clamps. ~those are just for home installation and Magnaflow uses them too.

Also have the muffler shop correct the tail pipe to clear your spare.

I have a 17" spare and just had to move it over a bit and theres plenty of room. Did you try moving the spare at all yet?

Old 01-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Thanks for all the help. I am looking into magnaflow. The company tells me the spare will not have to come out even with 17 inch spare. The tail pipes are 1 piece. The problem now is what lenght intermediate pipe do you use. I have a 2001 F150 supercab 5.4L. What is the average price of installation? Approx.

Old 01-13-2003, 11:45 PM
lonewolf, I ran into the exact same problem with my Fourx4. The dealer felt bad and ordered me a 16" spare so I would have one. But I'm not happy with the performance of the Gibson and after talking with Mike T, I'm going to order the MagnaFlow Cat back system and put my factory 17" tire back under my truck.

Quick Reply: Gibson Exhaust