Excursion

You gotta be kidding me!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 04:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Mach1
MTT-I like the way you go back and change what I wrote...Like-mttndork, when I wrote wttdorf..

No One Changed Anything YOU Wrote! I simply misspelled MACH1 the same way you misspelled mrrottndog!

I also stated 75% diesel and 25% 5.4 and V10..not 25% 5.4..

Thats the only thing you have been right about. I mis-read your first post

It seems like you are on the defensive and then twist the statements around...

Once again 'No One Twisted Your Statements' I don't feel I need to defend myself. I just am just not gonna set back while some arrogant narrow minded person tries to make himself feel important by criticizing someone else's choice in engines Throwing out a few moronic catch phrases hoping he will intimidate anyone who does not agree!

I like the way if you had to do it over you would do the Diesel...

As I said before I like the 7.3.. It's the attitude of a FEW of their owners I have a problem with.

The diesel is popular, Is it right for every one-- NO...

Well.. There's the second thing you've said thats true. It's to bad that you think that the people who 'it is not right for' are somehow some kind of a second class citizens.

Oh yeah they, Ford is trying to get the V6 4.5 liter diesel in the F150, and no it wont have spark plugs,..
Fine! 'To Each His Own'!

Old 11-24-2002, 12:41 AM
My, My this is a very "SENSITIVE AREA"..If I would have known this I would not have thrown out there some facts...

I again state, what iis right for some people is not right for others, the diesel was right for me..Some bragging is allowed for OUR trucks, AND

Was not meant to be taken as a put down on others..

I did not attack any one directly or IMPLIED!!!!

My sensitivity meter will be set for a lower detection level alert...

Old 11-24-2002, 06:28 AM
My, My this is a very "SENSITIVE AREA"..If I would have known this I would not have thrown out there some facts...

I again state, what iis right for some people is not right for others, the diesel was right for me..Some bragging is allowed for OUR trucks, AND

Was not meant to be taken as a put down on others..

I did not attack any one directly or IMPLIED!!!!

My sensitivity meter will be set for a lower detection level alert...

Good! Your so kind! Thank you for allowing we 'gassers' to exist!
I'm sure you 'Have Never' seen any gasser/diesel flame wars going on before and had 'No Idea' anyone would challenge facts like 'Real Trucks Don't Have SparkPlugs' and 'The Only Reason To Own a SD is the diesel!

Guess I'm to sensitive and will have to set my 'sensitivity meter' to a lower level.

Old 11-25-2002, 04:57 AM
Mdog, tell me, do you have the blower on your truck...I would like to know more about the blowers on the V10...

I will be nice and try and play with others...

Old 11-25-2002, 11:52 AM
Let me see if i can shift this thread some.

This past weekend I had my family visiting as well as friend over and among all the visitors, we had 3 brand new vehicles to see. A Lexus ES300, BMW X5 and an Excursion Limited PSD.

Ok, the first one I drove was the Excursion and that's what I'll focus on for obvious reasons.

My bro-in-law traded his 2000 Limited V10 4x4 Excursion that they loved for a 2003 Limited PSD 4x4. WOW. It's like driving a new truck. Talk about an improvment in ride and handling since 2000, unbelievable! As for the PSD, it was the first one I've driven. Not bad at all for a 1200 mile PSD. They never got more than 11-12 MPG on the HWY (lot's of road trips) with the V10 but they got 17.4 on the way here and they were hammering it. Again, only 1200 miles on it. Now I can see how 20+ is not unheard of once it's broken in. I'd sure like to drop it off at Banks but for a 7200 lb truck, it sure ran good. Much better than the V10 (sorry, but I only have their old Excursion to compare to). He didn't get the PSD last time thnking he didn't need it but after 1200 miles with a PSD, he has now crossed over to the land of those that understand; a true believer (especailly after seeing the milage). They do a lot of long road trips so this thing is perfect, and the PSD makes sense for them.

It's not bad for that big of a truck and being new, but I'd like to see it spool up quicker and pull a little harder (I know, it's big truck) and of course it seemed to shift pretty quick (but dang it would pull at those low RPM's). I can however, see where I'd never turn back if I would have had a chance to hook up to my 7500# boat. I think I might forget it was back there.

Ok, a quick review of the BMW. Man, all the cool little gadgets. Start it up as night and have the HID's come on, self adjust; how cool! Put it in reverese and have the side mirrors drop down so you can see the rear wheels and where you're backing. Just too slick! It was just the 3.0 ltr but it sure ran good. And handle, holy cow! Felt like it was on rails.

The Lexus, as expected, smooth and comfortable. Very nice car!!

So back to the Excursion. I still want one. Maybe I long to be a bus driver, who knows!!

You guys with 2003's, I'm envious!! I can imagine the 6.0 and the Torqueshift in one would be absolutely fantastic!

Last edited by FamilyRide; 11-25-2002 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-25-2002, 06:12 PM
Mdog, tell me, do you have the blower on your truck...I would like to know more about the blowers on the V10...

I will be nice and try and play with others...

I do have a kenne bell supercharger installed on my eXcursion. There is a picture of it earlier in this thread. I had been having a problem with the engine running lean. I have had the custom diablo chip reprogrammed several times in an effort to correct the problem. I have not had it on the dyno since the chip came back (for the third time) but my butt dyno tell me it's running strong. Bell insists I should remove my borla headers. He does not approve of headers and claims they are the reason for the lean condition. I just have not been able to bring myself to remove the headers.

Whipple and ProCharger also make superchargers for the V10!

Old 11-26-2002, 03:06 AM
Thanks mrrottndog, Do you think that mod of putting the colder plugs(like the Lightning guys do) would do anything for you???

Its running lean because of the headers?? Too much scavenging??? Does the V10 want to see more back pressure??
Cant diablo richen it up..The lightning guys may/may not be able to help here, I was reading that they were running theirs richer then 14.7 to 1..Like around 12 to 1...maybe some of their experimenting would help shed some answers...Keep me in touch please, I have had someone express interest in the blower on the V10...

Thanks...

Old 11-26-2002, 03:08 AM
FR--does he like it??? Sounds like you do....

When are the EX's slated for retirement???

The G2 is one bad engine!!! And with the 5 sp, qutie a potent package!!!

Old 11-26-2002, 04:52 AM
Thanks mrrottndog, Do you think that mod of putting the colder plugs(like the Lightning guys do) would do anything for you???

Its running lean because of the headers?? Too much scavenging??? Does the V10 want to see more back pressure??
Cant diablo richen it up..The lightning guys may/may not be able to help here, I was reading that they were running theirs richer then 14.7 to 1..Like around 12 to 1...maybe some of their experimenting would help shed some answers...Keep me in touch please, I have had someone express interest in the blower on the V10...

Thanks...
I had thought of the plugs... But at this point I'm kind of tired of throwing money at the supercharger. It's plenty quick for an 8000 lb. rig and for my purposes. I just wanted to get as close as possible to the claimed RWHP and Torque numbers. I do think the V10 needs more back pressure. I could feel a decrease in low end torque when the headers were installed and before the supercharger was in. Although others claim the opposite. I may yet put on the OEM headers.

I'm about to lift it another 3" to fit 39/18 Mickey's on weld 16.5x14 Mountain Crushers. Thats where my available cash is going this winter. Maybe I'll deal with the SC sometime this summer when and if I can afford it!

Old 11-26-2002, 09:07 PM
Like you were saying, thats about the first engine that I have heard about the headers decreasing performance, this is good to know...I have heard of the exhaust moving the torque curve up or down, but not killing it...Is that what Diablo is dong playing with the A/F ratio??? I know the L guys are running like 12 to 12.5 A/F ratio and they have to, to prevent dentonation..

Is that a SCrew that you own...The wife has one and she loves the truck..

The mufflers have to do with backpressure as well, can you just put a little more muffler on it???.

Old 11-27-2002, 05:35 PM
Off Task-

Although this post had NOTHING to do with V10 -vs- PSD, it seemingly got mutated into a "Mine's bigger than yours" contest.

So, I guess I'll whip out my two cents as well.

I like the Excursion. I didn't at first (Thought it was ugly) but now I like them, along with the other HD F series trucks.

I drove diesels for 10 years in the Army, everything from HMMWV's (You civilian's call them Hummer's) to M35A2 6x6 Duece and a half's. (2.5 Ton Cargo trucks, which are really multi-fueled trucks)

Recently, I thought I wanted to get a F-350 Dualie Crew cab, so I went and test drove one. I didn't want the PSD, I wanted the V-10. (Hard to find). They didn't have one, so I test drove the PSD. I gotta tell you, tha was the most refined diesel I've had the pleasure of mashing the pedal on. There was no mistaking the fact that it was a diesel, it was a bit clanky compared to the smoothness of my boss' V10, or any other gas engine- but you talk about a big girl that can move, that PSD moved that sumo-sized truck with more authority than my 4.6 moves my Expedition with.

Needless to say, I was impressed with the PSD. And, inside, it wasn't that noisy. (I'd still recommend a powerful stereo to drown out the PSD sounds....)

Now, would I buy an Excursion/F-350 with the PSD? No, I would not. Not unless I got a DARN GOOD deal on it.

Why? because most of my trips are 6 miles or less (Still a 20-minute drive in Plano traffic) in distance, and over the long haul, I don't think I'd like that noise in my face all the time. I could deal with flowmasters, but that sound's coming from behind me. I'd take my Excursion Limited 2WD with the V10, and be happy.

Gas is easier to find in the city than diesel, gas engines are better suited to short trips than diesels, no glow-plugs, and hey- if anyone's worried about MPG, that's why they make Camry's. Or, if you don't live on a ranch, in the snow belt, or don't go off road, drop that 4x4 option- that'll get you some MPG's back.

Now, that new (Even more refined) diesel that Ford's gonna slap in the Excursion with 325 HP if I'm remembering correctly, to replace the current 250 HP PSD, will be a final test of how smooth, and everyday friendly a diesel in a full size ute can be.

The Excursion is going the way of the dinosaur in 2004, so I have 2 years to think about it...

To each his own, if you like the PSD, get it. If you like the V10, get it- heck, if you don't mind 0-60 times of 21 seconds, get yours with a 5.4L V8. As long as you're happy- that's all that matters. No one here is helping anyone with your car note, so don't worry about what they think about your engine.

They're all Ford engines, and that's all that matters! They all perform well at low RPM, and they're all reliable (At least since 1997 I can say that.)

Last edited by Bighersh; 11-27-2002 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:50 PM
I still can't find new pics-

Hey guys- If you'd like to see some nice rides, go to-

www.westcoastcustoms.com

They have a lot of nice stuff, and they do all the customizations for Shaquille O'Neal, and other celebrities...

Old 01-10-2003, 01:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its nice to see you Excursion guys bicker like us Lightning boyz do too!

Old 01-10-2003, 02:02 PM
I want to see this 10 sec./.25mi. excursion, As If...

If you know where to get one of these then I know a couple of Kids that will be able to get to soccer practice on time.

Old 01-17-2003, 07:09 PM
New Pix-

Excursy- Right Rear

Excursy Side-

Nice Car-

Quick Reply: You gotta be kidding me!