Help! 97 foglight mod nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! 97 foglight mod nightmare

Well, I finally got the time to pull the headlight switch out and do the foglight mod. I was able to grind a new detent and ramp almost perfect the first time. I was happy with the results, might pull it apart once more and fine tune it. But sometimes it's better just to let things be. I found this out the hard way when I got to the electrical portion of this mod.
For some reason mine worked really funky. The fogs would light with the **** pushed in but once pulled out they would go off, wether it was in the headlight or the park position. That's the exact opposite of the factory setup.
I found that wierd so I pulled the jumper wire off to return it to stock form. After replacing the blown 5 amp fuse they work again only in stock form. Here's what I think. It seems when I do the jumper wire it must backfeed the lights or something. With the jumper wire on it has no choice but to send power to the relay to light the fogs. I'm sure with enough time that this might burn something more than a fuse.
On my 97 I have 2 square (left is gray, right is black) and one rectangular plug to the extreme far right. All in all there are 17 wires going into 16 connections, there are two white/black wires on that far right plug. Accoding to the directions I got from geocities link it states connect the brown wire on the far left bottom cornor to the white/black wire on the far right. Well, I have two so I figure both have to do the same function if they both go into the same slot. Which do I need. Thinking about just trying it again on the other white/blk wire.
Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? At first I thought I had blown my headlight switch or melted some wires. I did read where Jetset said not to jump the wires this way. But I couldn't make heads or tails of his mod to a relay under the hood. HELP!!!!!!

Last edited by KYFordFreak; 10-08-2002 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-08-2002, 12:15 AM
Come on guys someone gotta know something. I know I'm not the only one to experiance this problem. I followed the directions to a T. I need help so I can get this thing back together for the final time.

Old 10-09-2002, 01:36 AM
Still lost on this one... I hate wiring stuff up.

I tired to do this brown jumped to white/black wire again today. Remember I said I had two there, so I decided to just try the other one. I played it smart today ( or so I am think) instead on just a jumper wire I used an inline fuse holder wit ha 5 amp fuse in it. The second I turned the headlight switch on the fuse blew. The foglight fuse in the main fuse block is only 5 amps, so I disn't feel it would be safe to use a 10amp fuse or higher. Back the the drawing board.
If anyone can tell me what each wire goes to that might help (i have a wring diagram but it doesn't help much). I would also take just the opposite tell me what two wires to jump and go fro mthere.

Quick Reply: Help! 97 foglight mod nightmare