Wiring Running Board lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring Running Board lights

I just installed after market running boards with courtesy lights on my 2001 F-150 Super Crew. Can someone tell me how to wire the lights, including how to get the wire into the passenger compartment?

Thanks

Old 04-10-2002, 10:37 PM
I know of 2 ways to do it and not drill holes. The way I wire into my cab is through the access hole in the firewall. there is a black grommit covering it but you can take itout and put a hole in it or get a new grommit with a hole. It is above your brake pedal and really easy to get to. The other is the plastic access hole in the back of the cab that you might not have being a screw but I ran my CB antenna through it and then under my rugs that I have on my floor. If you want the lights to come on with the headlights I am not sure how to do it, you would just have to wire into the switch or the fuse block but I am not sure on that, All my aftermarket wiring is done seperatley from the stock wiring I.E. I run my own power wire to my own fuse block just to be safe. If you buy a brand new truck they specifically tell you not to mess with the ford wiring, but that could be caution on Fords part so you dont mess anything up. An aftermarket switch is easy to put in if thats the way you want to go though.

Old 04-10-2002, 11:05 PM
I'm wanting the lights to turn on when the door is open or the remote unlock is activated and then turn off when the door is closed or when the interior lights automatically go off.

Old 04-12-2002, 07:17 AM
Sounds like you want them to operate with the dome lamp circuit. This circuit also operates the bed lamps and small door lamps.

You need to locate the 'black w/light blue stripe' wire. It can be found in either kick panel. You may find it easier to work on the passenger side since there are fewer things in the way.

The new lamps should have their own current supply as the factory wiring is not really designed for added loads. You'll know what I mean when you see the size of the wire!

Use a separate supply from the battery (w/fuse) through a relay 'triggered' by the dome lamp circuit. This will activate the new lamps and provide a very safe installation. The fuse size depends on the lamp wattage (10 amps should be adequate unless they are 50w or greater).

There are other grommets located on the bottom of the truck.... Look around, there may be one closer than the firewall or rear of cab. I used ones that were near the front of the front seats, then ran the wires under the carpet to the door sills and on to wherever.

Good Luck... XLT_D

Old 04-12-2002, 01:28 PM
Thank you. I found the black w/blue stripe wire. The lights are now working.

Thanks again.

Old 04-13-2002, 03:10 PM
My Supercrew is already wired for running board lights, I know this from looking at the owners manual and fuse block;the fuse and wiring are already there. I can't figure out were the connector is. I'm going to try and look at a friends Expedition.

Old 04-19-2002, 10:32 AM
I installed a set of aftermarket lights on my running boards, connected to the door unlock button on the keyfob of my aftermarket remote start/lock. I used a time delay relay which allows me to set the lamp timer from 1-100 seconds. They don't really do anything, more novelty than anything else, but they do give me a visual indication the door unlock command was activated. If 'search' is available, you can find more information on this mod. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Wiring Running Board lights