Cargo light keeps burning out!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2002, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cargo light keeps burning out!

I need some help! One of the bulbs in my cargo light cluster on the cab above the rear window keeps burning out with in a week of replacement. It turns all black inside and sometimes even seems to explode! I can't figure this one out.

Rooter

Old 02-12-2002, 03:48 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Rooter,

The problem is moisture. There is a leak some where and water is getting in and blowing the bulb.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 02-13-2002, 10:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

He lives in the desert, JMC Rooter, there is "something" wrong with the cargo lights on these trucks, my sockets are melting and turning black. I tried some superwhite bulbs, and they burned out in a week. Regular bulbs seem to last a little longer for me. I don't know why they do it either. I don't remember metal sockets being this much trouble, maybe they should go back.,,,,98

Old 02-13-2002, 11:09 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Rooter,

How often do you wash your truck?
For a bulb to burn the filament must burn up or break. One cause is moisture, another is too much current and a third is excess vibration or shock to the filament. A black bulb is a sign of moisture. If there was too much current both bulbs would burn as they are wired in parallel. If there was too much vibration or a shock so violent to break the filament , I would suspect that both bulbs and the Stop lamps would also break.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Quick Reply: Cargo light keeps burning out!