Heated Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2001, 11:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heated Mirrors

Has anyone modified their OEM mirrors to heated mirrors? I have a Screw with the turn signal indicators on the mirrors. Before the snow hits the ground, I'd like to make them heated mirrors.

Thanks

Old 12-14-2001, 10:49 AM
Ok, are the turnsignals in the glass (muth mirrors) or are they on the housing (ford style). If they are in the glass, you could get (purchase) a pair of muth, heated turn signals (these are from an expedition), and wire in a heater relay switch. if you have them on the housing, you'll still need the muth mirrors..so your options are limited.

Old 12-14-2001, 02:13 PM
Thanks Shark99,

The turn signals are on the side of the mirrors. I saw the Muth mirrors and cringed at $219 a piece. That's a bit steep for me (I'm a cheapskate). I was hoping to retrofit the morriors with the heating elements and add a switch or wire them to the A/C defrost switch to keep the cost down. Anyone tried this?

Thanks

Old 12-14-2001, 04:26 PM
I got a pair of Muth signal mirrors for $199 from Performance Products.

Old 12-14-2001, 05:15 PM
Hmnnn

Ok, the muth 'heated' mirrors are $269 a pair. The heating element is between the back glass, and the plastic that houses the glass (not the actual assembly) So you would be hard pressed to get much heat from a thin film heater to the glass, if you were able to retrofit it. Then there is the 'hook to a/c defroster' again, you only need the mirrors to be 'heated' on demand, not all the time. There is a ton of info on the ford-diesel website. Many of the members have gone to great lenghts to change their mirrors to the muth heated. You will also need an appropriate switch w/relay and timer. Its a fairly easy mod, but it does take a little research.

Old 12-14-2001, 11:08 PM
Hey thanks guys,

Maybe in the long run it would be worth my while to pick up the Muth mirrors. I consider myself to technically savvy, but this is starting to sound like a lot of work. I keep the board posted. $199 a pair is a pretty good price. Thanks expy69. Did you install yourself? Are the turn signal indicators in the mirror or on the outside? Did you replace the entire mirror assembly?

Thanks for your help gang!

Quick Reply: Heated Mirrors