Electrical Nightmare

Old 02-26-2019, 09:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical Nightmare

I have a 2015 F-150 XLT has 46,000 miles on it.

About a year ago i started getting messages on my instrument panel. "Advance Trac needs service, Check 4x4, Hill Start Assist Not Available, Check Power Steering) Followed by the truck trying to shift into 4x4 on its own which creates a loud grinding. This has been on and off for a while. Some weeks it happens everyday sometimes it goes a month without happening.

Lately the entire Instrument Cluster and Radio will go out displaying a message "Transmission Not In Park" all while the truck is running fine. If i shut the truck off like this it will kill the battery by the following morning. Sometimes it will go on and off while driving.

When the battery gets disconnected everything reset and truck runs fine at random. Could be 5 minutes could be a month before it occurs again.

Aside from a short in the wiring or moisture getting into the wiring I'm not sure what else it could be or where to start. Truck just got out of warranty when the issues started. Ford dealership doesn't know where to start. When codes were pulled it pulled about 50 of them.

Any similar stories out there?

Any insight? help?

I don't mind getting it fixed but i don't have 10k to play trial and error with.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:16 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Write down all of the codes and then clear them to see which ones come back. Could a mouse be chewing wires? I've been watching videos posted by South Main Auto Repair and he posts a lot of videos on troubleshooting weird problems. With multiple codes or issues, he will chose one circuit that is malfunctioning and troubleshoot that circuit. When he finds the problem it usually clears up many if not all of the problems. Pine Hollow Diagnostics is another garage that posts a lot of diagnostic troubleshooting videos. If you live close to Albany NY, I'd take the vehicle to SMA.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electrical Nightmare