2010 XLT 5.4L Gauge Cluster Randomly Functions

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 08:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 XLT 5.4L Gauge Cluster Randomly Functions

Hey folks,

I have a 2010 XLT and the gauge cluster works randomly. Sometimes I can go weeks and the gauges all work properly and other times the screen won't come on but the gauges work or other times none of it works. I have found slapping the top of the dash directly over the cluster usually makes it come back on. Also when the screen is not working the A/C does not cool. Other times the truck won't crank and slapping the dash once or maybe multiple times makes it all fire up. I'm "assuming" there is a short in the system or maybe a bad relay but I have no idea where to even start and wanted to see if anyone might have a solution or at least a direction on what to look at. In the images below one shows the gauges working but the screen is not on and the A/C is not cooling.
Any help would be much appreciated.

When everything is working

When gauges work but the info screen doesn't work and the A/C doesn't cool. The gear indicator light doesn't illuminate. The blinkers in the dash do not work and there is no sound indicating the blinkers are working. All the blinkers on the exterior of the truck still function.

Last edited by Vykon; 09-24-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:32 AM
Video from this morning

Old 09-25-2018, 11:43 AM
Possible issue

Just thought I'd relay what I've found so far. I removed my gauge cluster and found out there is a loose connection either on the cluster (male) connection or the wiring harness (female) connection. Not sure just yet but I've left my trim off and can wiggle the wiring to get my dash to come back on. It will be a hassle until this weekend but at least I can get this part working until we determine which part is faulty. In the attached photo you can see where the wiring goes into the connector.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:48 PM
glc
Received 758 Likes on 702 Posts
If it's anything like the 99-03, you may have a cracked or cold solder joint on the connector on the circuit board that the harness plugs into.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by glc
If it's anything like the 99-03, you may have a cracked or cold solder joint on the connector on the circuit board that the harness plugs into.
Thanks for the heads up.

Quick Reply: 2010 XLT 5.4L Gauge Cluster Randomly Functions