Battery Drain on 2005 Expedition (Eddie Bauer)

Old 09-03-2018, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery Drain on 2005 Expedition (Eddie Bauer)

Good Morning peeps,
First, (knowing this is "F150" online) please let me know if there is a Forum for Expeditions
And if there is, I apologize for throwing this inquiry in this forum

Having said that,

I have been having trouble with my battery draining overnight. (e.g. 10 to 12 hours).

Placing an amp meter inline between the negative post on the battery and the negative cable. Letting it set for 45 minutes with nothing on, I pulled all the fuses, then started adding them back in. Got to Fuse #21, which appears to be related to the instrument cluster. If I leave fuse 21 out, the battery did not drain for two days. (note, this is with all domes, and accessories NOT on). yesterday morning, I went to work early enough I had to use my headlights. (flipped the headlamp switch to auto), drove to work, went out 8 hours later, drove home. Parked the truck. This morning (Saturday), went out to start the truck, and no go, it would not start. Noting, the ONLY thing I did different than Wed. or Thurs, was Friday AM in flipped the headlamp switch to auto. Now I am not sure if this has anything to do with the battery drain. But it looks awfully suspicious. Any ideas where I can go from here. and is there a way to 1) test the IC for issues that may be related, and 2) Can I bench test an Instrument cluster before installing it?

Thanks for any help/suggestions!
(I DO have this posted elsewhere, so this may seem familiar to some of you)

Old 09-03-2018, 01:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
How old is your battery?

Secondly, what is the quiescent current when you have fuse #21 installed?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery Drain on 2005 Expedition (Eddie Bauer)