Speakers turn off when dash lights up

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speakers turn off when dash lights up

I've tried troubleshooting this issue for a while but I've finally decided to come to some experts for some help! It's on my 08 F150 XLT Supercrew with stock everything except a aftermarket command start. 197000km.
​​​​​
​​​Long story short, when my headlights/dash lights turn on, either manually or automatically, my speakers turn off. No static or anything. I know the head unit still works because if a CD is playing the track time keeps going. This has been happening for a few weeks now. Another problem that came up at the same time was the ignition will sometimes start in the On position.

Now to make the story long. These are all of the symptoms I've come across during troubleshooting:

- when the truck is running, if the headlights/dash lights turn on then the speakers quit.
- if I pull fuse 6 (Park lamps, body security module, instrument panel illumination) I can turn on the headlights and the speakers work properly.
- I plugged in another head unit and had the same problems.
- if the truck is turned off but the key is in the On (or accessory) position there is no problem. I can turn the lights on and the speakers work properly.
- I tried loading the electrical system other ways (power windows, AC, fan, wipers, dome lights) and can't replicate the problem, it's only related to the lights.
- intermittently when I turn the truck off the interior lights flicker for a second. Can't seem to get that to happen consistently.
- using the Torque app I measured the voltage at the control module as 12.0V with the truck off, 14.0V when idling.

- very intermittently the ignition will crank and start the truck from the key being only in the On position. I can't get it to do it consistently, it seems to be random. This started happening the same time as the speaker issue.

- the engine light is not on, but there are two codes I read with the Torque app. P0512 and B1352.
​​​​​
So, I'm not sure what my next step should be. Do I just but a new battery and give that a shot?

Any help would be appreciated!

Quick Reply: Speakers turn off when dash lights up