2005 5.4 Alternator/Battery Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 5.4 Alternator/Battery Electrical Issue

So over the weekend I notice my battery light would blink a few times and go off. It happened randomly a few times over a two day period. I figured alternator is going out but I have some time since it is not staying on.

So heading home on Sunday, I hear a noise like something like the brakes clamping or thudding, don't know really how to describe it. Then the radio goes out and the ABS and Brake light goes on. A minute later I lose all electronics including gauges and odometer and ABS and Brake Lights go out, oddly the Airbag light came on. The truck still runs, I was on the highway. I get to the light off the highway right near my house and the engine shuts off, battery is dead. A guy stops and gives me a hotshot and I get it home. ABS and Brake lights on again. I hear a different noise almost like the calipers banging but not affecting the braking. I get it home and the battery dies again to where I have to use a hotshot to have enough power to roll my windows up.

I ordered a new alternator which should arrive today. It looks pretty simple to install. I am hoping that is the only issue. My question is what would cause the brake noises, something with the power to the ABS (reason the light is on)? I just want to make sure I don't have another issue or if possibly the alternator isn't the issue at all.

Last edited by hi3cho; 05-03-2017 at 10:51 AM.