No High beams

Old 09-15-2015, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No High beams

All other lights work properly.

Checked fuses. Swapped out MulitFunction switch.

Any other places to look first before I start tearing into tracing the wiring down?

Old 09-15-2015, 11:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What fuses did you check and how did you check them ?

Old 09-16-2015, 12:16 AM
Good point

You just made me think. I remembered the time I replaced both heating elements in a water heater many years ago because I didn't actually test the fuses that looked fine.

I checked fuse 16 (20A). Just a visual though; did not do an actual continuity test. I will try that tomorrow! Will also check for power in that circuit at the block while I'm at it.

I wish they'd numbered the sockets!

I looked at the halogen bulbs too. It appears that the high beam filament on both have never been energized. The low beam filaments are "scarred" for lack of a better word.

I'm trying to contact the PO to see if they've ever worked. (Old friend)

I've already discovered a few color discrepancies in the Wiring Diagram in the Chilton book I bought, so I appreciate any help. Can anyone help in locating a proven accurate diagram?

Old 09-16-2015, 08:42 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
When you check the fuse for the high beams :

1. Turn on headlamp switch to head position ( all the way right ).
2. Push MFS forward to high beams.
3. Use a meter to test for +VDC from a known good ground to each pin on the back of the fuse while install.

Chilton manuals are questionable at best, if you are going to keep the truck go find the paper manuals on eBay.
Might be listed in a 3 book service manual bundle or as EVTM.
Other option is to get an expired Service DVD, should be ~ 30 to 35.00 unless it is all price gouging at that time. You would just need to set the date back to earlier than the DVD date for it to work.

Wiring for the headlamps from the 2001 ( should be the same as the 2002 for this cell ).

If it is good, next is to test for + VDC at the bulb connector using the ground in the connector itself.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:12 AM
Thanks!

I'll test as suggested and use your diagram. I'll compare it to the Chilton's just to if theirs is any good.

Will post results.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:31 AM
D'oh!

After checking everything over several times I finally took it in to my buddy at one of our local shops this morning.

He looked at the fuse block diagram, and then at the fuse block for a minute. Stood up and walked to his toolchest.

Came back with a fuse and put it in.

High beams!

He said, "You checked for bad fuses, but not for a missing fuse".

Lesson learned. I was making it too complicated and overlooked the obvious.

He wouldn't charge me for 3 minutes work, so I "tipped" him $5 bucks and went next door for coffee and donuts for the crew.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No High beams