Low Voltage at Trailer Plug

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low Voltage at Trailer Plug

I have a 2006 F-150 with a low voltage issue to my trailer plug. I am only seeing it on my right turn signal and brake light. I am getting anywhere from 9.5 to 11 volts to the pin going to the right turn and brake with a steady 13 volts to the other side. This low voltage is causing a dim turn/brake to the right with no running lights on and no turn/brake to the right with running lights on. The running lights to both sides are working fine. This has replicated itself on 3 different trailers and is on both mt 4 pin and 7 pin plug. Any ideas on where to start?

Old 09-14-2015, 01:06 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Go to the CJB and check the voltage at both test points of fuse F36 with the brake lights applied. If one is good but the other isn't the fuse is bad although not blown.

If the voltages there is normal, there's a corroded connection, probably in one of the connectors between the CJB and the rear bumper. There are two connectors to pull apart and check.

If both are good and the Rt rear stop lamp of the truck is normal, there's an internal problem with the CJB.

Running lamps are a complete separate circuit.

This low voltage is causing a dim turn/brake to the right with no running lights on and no turn/brake to the right with running lights on.
Most likely, it's still there but is too dim to see next to the running lamp filament.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
dumb question time for me.

Are you testing it only with the trailer plugged in or is the test case of " on both mt 4 pin and 7 pin plug" with the trailer unplugged ?

As a SWAG, this sounds like a high resistance ground issue
- If it is the test side of a high resistance bleed to ground is another question all together.

Maybe start with what are you using as reference ground ?
- ground lug in the trailer tow adapter or frame.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:08 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
If the trailer were unhooked for the voltage measurements, they'd probably "look" normal as you'd be measuring the no-load open-circuit voltage.

If it were a ground problem, it wouldn't restrict the symptom to only one of the three circuits that go to the trailer's lighting as all three share the same ground.

A "high resistance" in that faulty circuit's supply is the only thing that makes sense to this old electronics guy.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Follow the wiring forward from the trailer connector, and check the pins of the NEXT connector(s) inline for corrosion, backout, or damage.

Quick Reply: Low Voltage at Trailer Plug