'06 FX4 Fog lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile '06 FX4 Fog lights not working

Hello, hope to receive some guidance on this. I bought a used truck Monday with non working fog lights. Switch is good, fuse under dash is good, bulbs are good, but no power at plug. I used a Fluke meter on all checks, not a test light. BTW, bulbs look brand new, no dirt on them like the plugs and wiring harness.

I could not determine if the under hood relay (RS202) is bad. I amy have been checking it wrong since it has been years since I have had to test a relay. I called around and none of the local parts houses have a relay, getting told dealer only item.

I was hoping some else on here had gone through the same issue in the past and can enlighten me.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:12 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Deerjager
Hello, hope to receive some guidance on this. I bought a used truck Monday with non working fog lights. Switch is good, fuse under dash is good, bulbs are good, but no power at plug. I used a Fluke meter on all checks, not a test light. BTW, bulbs look brand new, no dirt on them like the plugs and wiring harness.

I could not determine if the under hood relay (RS202) is bad. I amy have been checking it wrong since it has been years since I have had to test a relay. I called around and none of the local parts houses have a relay, getting told dealer only item.

I was hoping some else on here had gone through the same issue in the past and can enlighten me.
Hi &

Sadly, wrong relay, sir- the R202 you want is in the passenger side kickpanel fuse box (central junction box). Refer to yer Owner's manual.

Fogs will only work when the headlight switch is in the low beam position - and you pull out the headlamp switch, btw. Just sayin' - y'all probably are aware of this already.

Fuse # 17, right?

Diagrams in this thread: https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...-diagrams.html

General help with relays - to assist you in checking the Fog relay R202 - which is a 1/2 ISO type:

http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp

http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm

Ford 1/2 ISO relay pinout:

Lastly - if you plug 'fog' into the site's Advanced Search function, you'll find several additional threads discussing Fog light INOP issues. Lotsa good readin'.

good luck
MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 12-10-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:30 PM
MGDfan, thank you for the welcome and great information. The fogs work just like they did in my '01 F250 with the pull out. The similarity between the Superduty and F-150s is why I went with the FX4 after selling my beloved power stroke. Kind of help sooth the loss, so to speak.

I did check fuse 17 (good memory on your part) and it was a 15 amp as it should be and it passed inspection. My manual stated there was a relay on left frt fender well for the fog lamps if I remember correctly. I will review again tomorrow when I tackle the problem. I will use your information to check the relay.

As a side note, I found this forum searching for someway to find the fuse box since the manual is somewhat misleading. Cheers!!

Old 12-10-2014, 06:09 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Deerjager
MGDfan, thank you for the welcome and great information. The fogs work just like they did in my '01 F250 with the pull out. The similarity between the Superduty and F-150s is why I went with the FX4 after selling my beloved power stroke. Kind of help sooth the loss, so to speak.

I did check fuse 17 (good memory on your part) and it was a 15 amp as it should be and it passed inspection. My manual stated there was a relay on left frt fender well for the fog lamps if I remember correctly. I will review again tomorrow when I tackle the problem. I will use your information to check the relay.

As a side note, I found this forum searching for someway to find the fuse box since the manual is somewhat misleading. Cheers!!
----------------------------------------------
EDIT: Oye - just realized that you must have already found this panel, as you found fuse # 17.

This threw me off:

As a side note, I found this forum searching for someway to find the fuse box since the manual is somewhat misleading.
Hence this post .... Silly me - carry on!

( BTW - 1/2 ISO relays are available at places other than a dealer - Mouser, fer example )
----------------------------------------------

Hey.

If you look in the 'book' (page 237 and on) you'll see the passenger CJB panel layout. There is also a smaller one under the hood ( the wrong one, lol).

Excerpt from Page 237:

Passenger compartment fuse panel / power distribution box

The fuse panel is located under the right-hand side of the instrument
panel. Remove the trim panel and fuse box cover to access the fuses.

To remove the fuse box cover, place
a finger behind the PULL tab and
your thumb above the PULL tab as
shown in the illustration, then pull
the cover off.

To reinstall the fuse box cover, place the top part of the cover on the
fuse panel, then push the bottom part of the cover until you hear it click
shut. Gently pull on the cover to make sure it is seated properly.

Here:

good luck
MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 12-10-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
when you checked for power at the plug, did you use the connector for both leads ( + VDC and ground ) or did you use a different ground ?

Quick test, pull the fog lamp relay in the cab fuse panel, and jumper the terminals as shown in the picture above.

Do the fog lamps illuminate ?

If not, it is either the fog lamp fuse or the ground at the harness end.
- check for + VDC with another known good ground on the meter at the bulb connector.

When you checked the fuse, did you test it with the fog lamp switch pulled out and test from a known good ground to each pin on the back of the fuse, while installed ?

Old 12-15-2014, 02:09 PM
Replaced relay and I could hear it clicking when the switch as activated. I finally replaced the passenger side bulb and voila---both worked. I looked over the one I pulled out and even used an opti-visor and still could not see a break in the filament. Something internal in the plug on the bulb I guess.

Sometimes it is the simplest things, like replacing a bulb. Oh well, live and learn. Thank you for all the guidance.

Quick Reply: '06 FX4 Fog lights not working