turn signal shuts off my cruise control...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 03:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question turn signal shuts off my cruise control...

Been having electrical issues for some time now with no luck at getting it resolved. My right rear turn signal doesn't work. The dashboard blinks really fast indicating that the bulb is out. It's not, its brand new, and works. I've tested it. Fuses are all good.

What's odd is that if I have cruise control set and I signal 'Left' indicating to change lanes, then my cruise control shuts off. Doesn't do it when I signal 'Right', albeit right doesn't work anyway. I'm guessing I may have a faulty indicator switch (dont' know what it's called, but that lever on the left side of your steering wheel).

Any help would be appreciated as to what's going on. There are no cell codes. don't know how to take the molding around the steering column apart, except for one piece that just pulls up.

5.4 with trailer tow package

Old 05-21-2013, 06:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How did you test the bulb ?

did you test the socket to see if you are getting +VDC on the turn signal pin / wire ?

The turn signal turning off as well as fast flash on that side, indicates a bulb is out ( normal function ) which can also be the socket or the wires to it.

Also test for the turn signal at the trailer tow adapter with a meter or test light.
- This is fed from the MFS via a fuse. If this is dead, start with testing the trailer tow adapter fuse with a meter while installed to a known good ground.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:36 PM
Bulb was tested by plugging it into the left side turn signal. Trailer tow turn light works. I tested the socket for the bulb with a multimeter. It tested identical to the left side. This is what lead me to believe the problem is in the turn indicator.
Thanks for the response. I can't seem to get anyone to really help me figure this out.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:02 PM

If the trailer tow adapter right turn signal works, the MFS is fine.

If I read this correctly, the right bulb socket has + VDC at the turn signal circuit, so that rules out everything but the bulb socket, bulb & the bulb install.
- You did use the ground at the right side bulb socket when testing for +VDC.

If a working bulb from the left side is installed, that should rule out the bulb.

Which leaves bulb install or the contacts in the bulb socket ( or ground ? )

Can you detail where you tested with the meter, for + VDC at the right side bulb socket ?
- Make sure when you test for + VDC on the Orange w/ light blue stripe wire, that the bulb is not in the socket. Don't want to use a derived ground via the parking lamp if there is a ground issue. Orange w/ light blue stripe wire to black wire at the socket should be the test to use.

Last edited by SSCULLY; 05-22-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
If the trailer tow adapter right turn signal works, the MFS is fine.

If I read this correctly, the right bulb socket has + VDC at the turn signal circuit, so that rules out everything but the bulb socket, bulb & the bulb install.
- You did use the ground at the right side bulb socket when testing for +VDC.

If a working bulb from the left side is installed, that should rule out the bulb.

Which leaves bulb install or the contacts in the bulb socket ( or ground ? )

Can you detail where you tested with the meter, for + VDC at the right side bulb socket ?
- Make sure when you test for + VDC on the Orange w/ light blue stripe wire, that the bulb is not in the socket. Don't want to use a derived ground via the parking lamp if there is a ground issue. Orange w/ light blue stripe wire to black wire at the socket should be the test to use.
Sorry, been gearing up for board exams. Trailer right signal no longer works. So now I'm thinking it's either the relay in the back of the truck or the one above the brake pedal.

multimeter was tested without and with the sockets the bulb plugs into. You can take them off. They tested fine.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:44 AM
Fixed

Rear relay was bad. Huge hassle.
Thx for the help

Old 06-09-2013, 09:12 AM

For the next member, can you describe where the "rear relay" is at.

I have never heard of this, not sure what this is.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:17 PM
please help

I'm having the same problem can you please tell me how you fixed. Rhee is the rear rekay that you talk about.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:56 AM
Common courtesy

hey bub with the WORKING blinkers and cruise control how about not being a jerk! Posted asking for help had multiple guys give up THIER time to try and help you and when you get your problem fixed you can’t be bothered to post some detail so the next guy (I.e. ME) could fix his blinker and cruise control)!!
Same issue here 2006 F150 King ranch. Only difference is it’s left turn signal (rear) that’s out and right turn signal kills cruise control! As an extra the AC has had a mind of its own and spent over 4 weeks this year in the shop driving the AC guys nuts!

Old 07-17-2018, 12:06 PM

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Check your fuse panels for corrosion. Also check for leaks.

Quick Reply: turn signal shuts off my cruise control...