Recommendations for a GOOD Soldering Iron

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommendations for a GOOD Soldering Iron

Hey guys I'm about to solder a new connector on my wiring harness so its time to dig out my Walmart special soldering iron and hope that one hot spot still works. Which got me thinking, its time to get something that isn't disposable since I actually solder a lot on motorcycle projects.

Does anyone have a decent brand they can recommend? I'm more of a Craftsman level guy than Snap On, the difference just isn't worth it to me. Not looking for anything fancy, I want something that works properly, lasts, and has a hard case.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Frankenstein81
Hey guys I'm about to solder a new connector on my wiring harness so its time to dig out my Walmart special soldering iron and hope that one hot spot still works. Which got me thinking, its time to get something that isn't disposable since I actually solder a lot on motorcycle projects.

Does anyone have a decent brand they can recommend? I'm more of a Craftsman level guy than Snap On, the difference just isn't worth it to me. Not looking for anything fancy, I want something that works properly, lasts, and has a hard case.
I had my Weller for decades (gun & iron)...doesn't speak for the new stuff, but the old stuff is great!

Old 02-12-2013, 07:31 PM
What he said.

Originally Posted by beechkid
I had my Weller for decades (gun & iron)...doesn't speak for the new stuff, but the old stuff is great!
Weller worked for me for years.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Weller works fantastic. Definitely recommend.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a Weller 100/140 and a 200/260 (had a second one but gave it to my brother) and they are an excellent iron and won't break the bank either. I used one in the shop doing Code3 work and it never failed me. One thing I have noticed with them though is that you need to remove the tip fairly frequently and polish the legs with a little 0000 steel wool or they don't conduct real well. It was easy to do and the guns have been flawless otherwise.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:09 PM
Been using my fathers Weller gun that is older than I am! 22 years old plus and still works awesome and super easy to find tips since they have not changed much in design.

Lot of guys also use the torch method now with a mini butane torch heat it up than slap the solder on

Old 02-13-2013, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by Pockets
Been using my fathers Weller gun that is older than I am! 22 years old plus and still works awesome and super easy to find tips since they have not changed much in design.

Lot of guys also use the torch method now with a mini butane torch heat it up than slap the solder on

Weller soldering guns are WAY TOO big for electronics/PCB work. This Weller pencil type is what is needed:

http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WES51-A.../dp/B000BRC2XU

I just re-read the OP's post. for large wiring / connector work, the Weller guns will work ok.

Last edited by Takeda; 02-13-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by Takeda
Weller soldering guns are WAY TOO big for electronics/PCB work. This Weller pencil type is what is needed:

http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WES51-A.../dp/B000BRC2XU

I just re-read the OP's post. for large wiring / connector work, the Weller guns will work ok.
I use it all the time lots of use in my truck with all the emergency lights

Not to big for me and I like the instant heat and the ability to turn off without unplugging just take your hand off the trigger.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:35 PM
I was already eyeballing a Weller when I posted this, but wanted to see what you guys came back with. I work on all types of vehicles - motorcycles, dirtbikes, ATV's, cars, trucks, boats, you name it. I don't mess with circuit boards or whatnot.

A motorhead buddy of mine still suggested the pencil type as well. What advantage would that give? What would I use that for on a vehicle that a normal iron would not accomplish?

I'm sort of leaning towards the butane powered iron kit right now, model P2KC.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by Frankenstein81
I was already eyeballing a Weller when I posted this, but wanted to see what you guys came back with. I work on all types of vehicles - motorcycles, dirtbikes, ATV's, cars, trucks, boats, you name it. I don't mess with circuit boards or whatnot.

A motorhead buddy of mine still suggested the pencil type as well. What advantage would that give? What would I use that for on a vehicle that a normal iron would not accomplish?

I'm sort of leaning towards the butane powered iron kit right now, model P2KC.
I've used the gun type all all those vehicles my quad, motorcycle, truck, cars, and my boat lol IDK why you would get the pencil type that does not heat up as quick and some have to have that box that they are connected too..... the gun also has a light on it too

The bad thing that I have heard with the Torch method is that it does not penetrate the wires like the guns do but I've done it and they have held up fine and it's leaps and bounds quicker!

Old 02-16-2013, 12:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Get the Weller gun. I have the 200/260 one, and it is quick and easy.

From the sounds of your 1st post, remember to use a damp sponge or one of the wire "birds nest" to clean the tip off after you are done.
- Read like the issue with the tip is it is coated with old solder.

I tried one of the weller butane pencil tip ones, and was not impressed with it.
- It does not work as well as my weller adjustable pencil one, glad it was not mine.

The micro torch method of wrapping the solder around the wires to be joined, the wire is not heated up and drawing the solder in, you are just melting the solder of the the wire. Some might get in, and it might work, but I would not trust it. If you are going that route, just use butt splices with a good pair of crimp pliers.

As for cannot do PCB work with a weller gun ?
- Don't tell Patman this

Name:  DSC08814.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  179.3 KB

Name:  DSC08816.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  123.9 KB

EDIT :
the wire "birds nest" type, no water needed. This is the one I have.

Last edited by SSCULLY; 02-16-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:17 AM
Name:  DSC08816.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  123.9 KB

Steve, that is NASTY!

Old 02-16-2013, 09:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by code58

Steve, that is NASTY!
That is Patman, not me. ( boy needs to clean that soldering iron tip in the worst way - damn auto mechanics )

I use my pencil tip soldering iron for this stuff.
- I always get the overhead consoles with the resistors missing in action, and have to convert a surface mount to std resistor with a L shaped leg retrofit. Big PITA doing that modification.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:49 AM
=SSCULLY;4955121]That is Patman, not me. ( boy needs to clean that soldering iron tip in the worst way - damn auto mechanics )
Oh trust me Steve, I knew that was Pat's, not yours. Just that it was on your post was the only reason I responded to it there. I couldn't imagine you doing anything like that. I didn't really like soldering before I did Code 3 outfitting, but soon learned to love it when I learned a few good tricks. Have never actually seen an iron that looked like that though.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:07 PM
I can speak from personal experience... GET THE WELLER P2K.
I am an aircraft electrician and can tell you that thing is worth it's weight in gold. When we're on the flightline in the winter with wind blowing cold air in your face, this butane model keeps hot enough to do most jobs. I can solder up-side down above my head or inside of a tight cramped hole with no problems. And since it's butane, you don't even have to worry about an extension cord.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for a GOOD Soldering Iron