Potential power seat install - What are these existing wires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Potential power seat install - What are these existing wires?

Model is a 2004 XLT. Am in the midst of planning to install some variation of power seats. I have searched both the 2004-08 Forum and the electrical forum and read every thread I could find on power seats. Also, I am an eletrical noob.

I have read repeatedly that the power seat power wiring is under the carpet. I looked under the hole in the carpet and can find nothing. Currently there is a conduit/Y junction of wiring coming out of the carpet. One branch of the Y went to a connecter that ended in nothing, with one dark green wire and one black wire ( I am assuming that this is power and ground?) The connecter was attached to the bottom of the seat, but went to nothing. Could this be used as the source of power for power seats? Is it fused and woud simply tying into the black wire ground it properly?

The second branch of the harness when to a large connecter and then splits out to a number of places, which I assume is for the airbag, seatbelt, etc. But it seems like there are a lot of wires in there for all of that. Is any of this existing wires for options I do not have such as memory seating or heated seats?

Old 10-04-2011, 12:01 PM
By the way, I do not care about installing the memory function or the heated seats. I have done my research and understand what is required to get those functions to work. I simply want to get power to the power seat adjustments in order to be able to move the seats.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The wiring could be under the carpet.

The connector you found sounds correct, but you will need to check to see if it is connected to anything on the other side ( this is common with items like the fog lamps, 80% of the wiring is there, but the missing part is the hard part ).

Install a fuse in the fuse # 109 ( 30A ) for the power seats, and see if the connector is has power ( hot at all times ).

If it does, this seems to be connector C3134.
This plugs into another connector ( under the seat ) that goes to the power seat wiring for the non memory seat wiring.

If you are looking at a Memory Seat option, you will need to add another hot at all time circuit to the system, as there are 2 of them ( F109 & F3 ).

If you searched all the other threads already, you know that memory seats are not an option to be installed later, it is an integral function of the install from the start.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...need-help.html

Start by installing the fuse, and checking the connector for power to know your starting point.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Fuse slot 109 already has a fuse in it, I have the power adjustable pedals. Will check tonight to see if that connecter in question is hot as well.

Last edited by Cavalry99; 10-04-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:19 PM
Connecter in picture 1 is hot at all times.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:40 PM

OK, that means the wiring is installed.

You will be fine for a direct plug in to a power seat ( non memory type ).

Old 10-05-2011, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
OK, that means the wiring is installed.

You will be fine for a direct plug in to a power seat ( non memory type ).
And if I end up with a memory type seat, will I be able to work around it? I realize the memory function will never work, I just want to be able to adjust the seats.

Trending Topics

Old 10-05-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Cavalry99
And if I end up with a memory type seat, will I be able to work around it? .......<snip>......
not plug and play you would need to splice the power and the additional power circuit into the Drivers Seat Module. The connectors are different.

...<snip>......I realize the memory function will never work, I just want to be able to adjust the seats.
Where did you get this from ?

The DSM is part of the seat, and that is what operates the motors and settings for the seat.

The part that may or may not work is the power pedals setting with the memory seat setting.
Not too sure if there are 2 sets of power pedals ( limit switches to know the pedal position )

Old 10-05-2011, 08:53 AM
https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...nversions.html

It was to my understanding the seats would not work as the DSM would never be able to be programmed to work with the truck. If I am wrong, please correct me!! I could care less about the pedals, or if the actual memory buttons actually work. Since the connecter is different, can you splice both the power for the seat and for the DSM from the same existing power connection, or will I need to run another line from the fuse box for the DSM?

Old 10-05-2011, 10:53 AM

Not too sure if that is correct or not.

I have never tried, so I cannot say for sure.

Operation of them, I can see where it might not work, having no connection to the module comm network, and not being able to get DTR status, but programming ??
This is not needed unless the DSM is a new one ( never programmed ), and the DSM itself it programmed.
The BSM is configured with the DSM info, so the memory section can be integrated with a specific RKE fob.
This feature is not required ( my RKE fobs are not set to a memory location, but the 2 buttons are set to different positions ).

Not 100% sure that thread is correct, as the switches to the DSM should work, where that thread indicated that they were dead. Was it working from the doner truck ? Was the 2nd circuit wired to the DSM ?

At lot of questions I get from that thread, and I was not involved in it, so I cannot say what took place or not.

If you do not want to chance it, don't get one that is memory, easy enough.

The 2nd power to the DSM, I would say tag it right off the power for the seats themselves, both fuses are hot all the time, so that should be good.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Thank you SSCULLY. Off to source some seats........

Old 10-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Thank you SSCULLY. Off to source some seats........
http://oemcarandtruckseats.com/searc...150&&make=Ford

Quick Reply: Potential power seat install - What are these existing wires?