Possibly a bad mirror switch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possibly a bad mirror switch?

I have a 2001 F150. For a while, my power mirrors had not been working. Just got around to doing something about it today, and now I have them moving, but both the right and left mirror will not pan down. I tested all the wires and there is power running to all wires, except for the ground of course. Could this just be a bad switch, or not since the other 3 directions are working?

I should add that I did clean ALL connections TWICE, and that is how I think I got them working those 3 directions.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would suggest testing the switch to see if it is that, or the motors on the mirrors. I would suspect it is the switch, with the same thing wrong with both sides ( and the Up works ), but this is the probable column, there is also the possible column that the motors are bad or the mirror is all the way down.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did do the test on the switch, and no matter which wire I tried (minus the black ground), my test light lit up. I went up with the mirrors, then tried to go down, and neither of them would move. But I still showed power in all the wires. I coach HS baseball, and this pretty much started after my passenger side mirror wore a foul ball. They stopped working altogether after I installed the new mirror, but they wouldn't move, at all. Now, I got both mirrors moving all directions, but down.

I will try testing the terminals instead of the wires and see what it does and get back to you.

Quick Reply: Possibly a bad mirror switch?