F150 2001 Supercrew headlights question..

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question F150 2001 Supercrew headlights question..

I don't know if this is something from factory, but when I turn on my truck the headlights are always on, when I turn on the headlights from inside the light beam gets a little higher and of course they get higher when I turn on the High beam...

is this normal or some type of relay needs to be change?

I am going to install HID lights soon and I wonder if this will affect them in the long run.

Thanks for all your help guys..!!

Old 05-19-2011, 01:43 PM
All I can tell you is, I have the same truck and you have to turn the headlights on from the switch at the dash.

I would have to think something is up.

Sorry I can't tell you what's wrong. Someone will.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:59 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
day time running lights?

Old 05-19-2011, 02:53 PM
yes during day time... even if the switch is off inside... the lights are still on but like in a low beam.. when I turn the switch to on the lights get a little bit more brighter and if I switch to high beam the lights get brighter.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Pat's post is telling you, you have DRLs installed.

Owners manual covers this. They will be at a lower wattage when the headlamps are off and the truck has the key in the run position.

If you have DRLs, you need to disable them prior to installing the HIDs, the HID ballasts will not have a sense of humor about this.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Pat's post is telling you, you have DRLs installed.

Owners manual covers this. They will be at a lower wattage when the headlamps are off and the truck has the key in the run position.

If you have DRLs, you need to disable them prior to installing the HIDs, the HID ballasts will not have a sense of humor about this.
Simple fix Pazzi,

Slide on your back under the front bumper on the drivers side, as you slide in, look up on the front side of the rad support (in between the the bumper and the wheel well) you will see a resister about 4 inches long with a modular plug with two wires in it (I think it was two,, was about four years ago when I disabled mine) just unplug it from the resister and your good to go, might be a good idea to seal it up in case you ever need to re-enable them sometime in the future.
If i remember correctly, there used to be a post on here somewhere with pics,, I think it was someone wanting to install DRL's on his truck.....

Good Luck, Cheers!

Last edited by Inquazar; 05-27-2011 at 01:57 AM.

Quick Reply: F150 2001 Supercrew headlights question..