Remote Start for '04

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Start for '04

I have gotten mixed information through searching, so I'm someone with experience can answer this definitively for me.

I have an 04 FX4 with keyless entry/alarm, and would like to add the OEM remote start option. I understand that Code Alarm makes the units, but get conflicting info as to which it is and what all is required to make the addition while keeping everything else intact. What was the OEM unit (or units) that came with the trucks and/or does anyone know of a good writeup for the install?

Thanks for helping me beat the snow!

Old 09-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What you have now is the RKE with the panic alarm

There is the Available option from the dealer to get 3 different types.

Bronze Remote start is remote start only, no RKE buttons on the key fob
Silver remote start is remote start and RKE
Gold is remote start, RKE and a vehicle Security system

none of these came with the truck, it is a Ford accessory that is added to the truck at the dealer ( or a shop does it for the dealer ).

If you do not care if it has the Ford sticker on it, ask Travis At KCAutosound which Code Alarm system is best for you ( he has several ). He offers an addition which is pre wiring the kit and including instructions for wiring it yourself.

This is better than going the OEM route, which is all DIY for the install.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had remote keyless entry (RKE) factory, no alarm no remote start.
I got the Code alarm CA671 from travis. It is basically an add on alarm and remote start. I have to have the aftermarket fobs to remote start but my factory fobs activate (lock) and deactivate (unlock) the alarm. Install was pretty straight forward with his instructions. He was a factory authorized installer that launched his own business that now does all the ford installs. If you want more info on his business and customer support you can PM me.

What i like about the code alarm installs is that you can use the factory ford keypad to arm or dis-arm your alarm. basically the only thing you cant do from your factory keyless/keypad is remote start and two way paging. I would recommend it for anyone wanting a near factory remote/ alarm package.

I believe there was a lesser option that offered remote start and alarm without the two way paging but still required an extra remote, and just the remote start add on, cheaper but still needed an extra remote.

I recommend the two way paging remote start and alarm. Ive had it for about two years without a single problem.

Last edited by Fabian06SC; 09-20-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:34 AM
Talked to Travis for better than 30 minutes a few weeks ago, and he seems great. Trouble is I can't seem to get ahold of him now for almost 3 weeks to make a purchase. Must be pretty busy I guess...

Anyway, sscully... you have the Silver system, which is the same as a CA-530, right? I'm leaning that direction, but I have two questions for you:

1) What kind or range are you getting, and do you have problems with it not starting/starting on accident without you knowing? I ask because I'd like to be able to start it from inside a building, but I'm thinking it may be disconcerting to not know whether or not it actually started. I've also been known to accidentally hit a panic button with other stuff in my pocket, and it that happened with the start button I'd want to know about it.

2) I can't find any good info on this... but does it have an aux circuit to turn on heated seats or run a window module?

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gsea
...<snip>....
Anyway, sscully... you have the Silver system, which is the same as a CA-530, right? I'm leaning that direction, ...<snip>.....
Mine is the Ford labeled system, so it might not be 1:1 the same. I am guessing for the most part it is the same guts with a Ford sticker on it.

...<snip>....
1) What kind or range are you getting, and do you have problems with it not starting/starting on accident without you knowing? I ask because I'd like to be able to start it from inside a building, but I'm thinking it may be disconcerting to not know whether or not it actually started. I've also been known to accidentally hit a panic button with other stuff in my pocket, and it that happened with the start button I'd want to know about it....<snip>.....
The accidentally start, I would put this in the possible but not probable column. You have to press the lock button, then the key button to start it, it is not a single button start.

...<snip>....
2) I can't find any good info on this... but does it have an aux circuit to turn on heated seats or run a window module?...<snip>.....
The owners manual shows a few options.

Press and hold the lock button will turn on the headlamps, this is an optional setup.
Press and hold the unlock button is for opening a trunk or hatch ( 1st press on mine is unlock all, can be like the factory RKE, 1st is driver's door, 2nd press is all doors )
After the system is remote started, pressing and holding the key button is for turning on the rear defroster, this is an optional install setup.

The owners manual then lists the options for power sliding doors on the winstar ( lock and unlock together are drive's side door, panic and key buttons together are the passenger's side power slide door ).
Rear lift gate on the Expd & Nav ( lock and unlock together 1st time open 2nd time close ).
Express Window down on the LS ( lock & unlock buttons )
Power Tonneau on blackwood open is lock & unlock buttons, close is panic and key button

Any of these I guess could be used to operate something else, if you install it that way.

The range, I calculated it one time ( counting parking spaces x 10 and the length to use for a^2+b^2=c^2 ), but I cannot recall for sure. I know it is much father than the OE remote.
Being in a building, could very well limit that function.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:54 PM
I had the Gold system installed. 1 key fob to carry and the key. Works out nicely, with the alarm also. Lil pricey for what it is, but its ford oem.
If I had to do it again, id get an aftermarket set up. This one is set up nicely though, and since its oem no problems.

Quick Reply: Remote Start for '04