Third brake light replacement/upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2001, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Third brake light replacement/upgrade

Hi, everyone...

Does anyone know how to replace/upgrade the third brake light assembly? I am trying to replace mine(99 XLT extended cab) with a new one from 2001 Lightning and I am having a heck of a time accessing the connector of the wiring assembly. It seems that the connector is located well below the headliner. Any idea how to get access to this connector? Can I access it by removing the interior pillar trim just on one side? How are these trim pieces attached? X-mas trees or screws and how many? And do I have to remove the rear seat back? Please drop me a line if you have any experience or suggestions.

Thanks.

------------------
Hyper 1

99 XLT 4X4 Sport SuperCab
Flairside-Black.
4.6L V8/Auto.
3.55 Limited Slip.
Class III Towing Package.
Borla CatBack Exhaust.
Dual Borla 4.5" Carbon Exhaust tips.
K&N FilterCharger.

Old 06-05-2001, 11:05 AM
Its not easy, but it can be done...do you have small hands??? pull the two circular clip holding the rear of the headliner..yank the tops of the pillar plastic (straight towards the centerline of the cab) these dont need to come all the way off, just the top clips. Now you can gently pull the headliner down (it will take a little bending, but too much will crease it) with a small screwdriver, unlatch the connector, pull it apart, assemble in reverse!!! putting the connector back on was the tough part...just be patient and dont tweak the headliner too much.

------------------
2000 XLT Silver 5.4L SC 4X4 ORP 157"wb Ford Floormats, MudFlaps, Cabin Air Filter, lighted emblems, lighted interior door handles(all 4) Chrome Grill (4x2 style), Diamondplate bed caps, Pro-Tech tool box, Air Box mod, Muth Heated Signal Mirrors, Custom Gauge Pod-(water temp, trans temp)
Perma-cool 8" Electric Trans Cooler Fan, 2.02" Radiator, 16" Derale cooling fan, Superchip (flipchip), Map lights in overhead, tinted windows, back up lights, soundproofed cab.

Old 06-05-2001, 01:08 PM
Wink

Cool... Thank you.

This is great!!! I was hoping that I wouldn't need to take too many components off to get to that connector.
Hmm... I am not sure which clips you are talking about. The center portion of my headliner is free floating. No clips holding it up... Maybe newer F-150s have them. Anyway, sure appreciate taking your time helping me... ^_^

------------------
Hyper 1

99 XLT 4X4 Sport SuperCab
Flairside-Black.
4.6L V8/Auto.
3.55 Limited Slip.
Class III Towing Package.
Borla CatBack Exhaust.
Dual Borla 4.5" Carbon Exhaust tips.
K&N FilterCharger.

Quick Reply: Third brake light replacement/upgrade