2010 XLT Dash Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 08:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 XLT Dash Lights

Just got an new XLT last week and after a trip yesterday in some rain and dark skys I have a question. I needed to use the manual setting on the lights in the rain as it wasn't dark enough for the auto lamps. I don't use the auto much anyway. The problem was the instrument cluster lights seem to go on and off with the auto light sensor, regardless if you are using them or not. Is this a correct assumption, or is something wrong? If the instrument lights are on a sensor, anyway to overide when in the manual mode? It was a dark and dreary trip and many times, it was a strain to read my speed.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:50 AM
no way to adjust the setting as far as i know of to change when it comes on. easiest solution i can think of to override this problem is to throw a ballcap on top of the sensor on the dash.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:14 PM
i had the same experience over the weekend. like mabrandt, i had a hard time reading the instrument cluster in a rainstorm, even though it was still light enough outside for the cluster to not illuminate. i rolled the dimmer switch back and forth thinking it was a short in the relay of some sort before coming to a conclusion it had to do with the outside lighting. i can maybe understand the usefulness if you run DRL or use the auto (i choose neither), but it should be documented in the manuals.
thanks papajohn to locating the sensor. maybe someone will come up with a mod to disable that feature. the silver on silver gauges can be difficult to see.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:48 AM
I'm just glad to see it's not broke, altho I disagree with the engineering. If you turn something on in manual mode, it should override any sensor from automatic mode. I'll keep the hat trick in mind. On my wifes Nissan, the dash lights are on all the time. They are bright with the headlights off and when the headlights come on, they dim. I wouldn't have minded that setup.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:59 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Someone on here took the sensor out, painted the inside and re-installed it...me personally, I just throw a ball cap on there and call it a day.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Has anyone figured out how to make the dashboard lights (2010) stay on even if the headlights are off. I noticed the 2011's display is always illuminated and makes it much easier to read day/night...anyone figure out how to override it?

Old 10-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by KailuaFord
Has anyone figured out how to make the dashboard lights (2010) stay on even if the headlights are off. I noticed the 2011's display is always illuminated and makes it much easier to read day/night...anyone figure out how to override it?
I ended up putting a piece of black tape over the sensor on the dash. I cut it so it fits pretty close. No one can even tell there is tape on it as it matches my dash pretty well. Works great. I still think it was dumb of them to do that.

Quick Reply: 2010 XLT Dash Lights