Removing Headlight Switch Assembly¿¿¿

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2001, 10:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Removing Headlight Switch Assembly¿¿¿

Okay, here's my plan. I got a pair of round fog light assemblies for a newer Ford Expedition/Explorer and will be installing them on my 97 F150. My truck did not come with the factory fog lights, or any foglights for that matter. I can pull on the light switch and it does come out about an 1/8 of an inch, which is what I'm assuming is the correct way to turn on the factory fogs? Now my question is how do I take the light switch out so that I can wire up my new used foglights? (Please tell me that I do not have to pull have my dash out???)

Thanks!

------------------
97 F150 Reg Cab Short Bed
4.2L Auto
Current Performance mods=
Accel 9000Series Race Plug Wires
Motorcraft Platinum Plugs 60 Series Heat Rating
K&N Air Filter(Modified Stock Airbox)
Flowmaster 40 Single in/out.
B&M Shift Improver Kit(highly recommend!!)
Current Musical Improvements=
California Profile3600 running two front Pioneer5x7 three way speakers and a single 10" Cerwin Vega in my homebuilt port tuned box.
Pioneer Cassette/cd control head unit with matching Pioneer 6 disc changer.
1/2 Farad Stinger cap.

My other truck is an in the works 1950 Ford pickup.

Old 04-17-2001, 01:22 PM
Talking

Nah, you don't have to pull your dash out. But you might find that your headlight switch is not equpipped for foglight use.

Although they pull out, the internal electrical contacts may not be present.

But to remove it you remove the **** from the headlight control and insert if 180 degrees backward. Then you turn it, I believe counter-clockwise but don't hold me to that, it's been over a year since I pulled mine!

Good luck!

Old 04-19-2001, 08:49 AM
Y2K Offroad may be correct about the electrical contacts not being on the switch post. Here are the steps to take off the **** and switchplate from a '97 F-150.

1) Rotate the switch to the "ON" position. (The F-150's equipped with foglights shows "ON" AND "FOG"). Yours won't.

2) Pull out the **** and find the notch under the heel of the ****, next to the face plate. (It will be opposite of the dot painted on the ****). It is very small. The only tool I had that was slim enough to fit was a eyeglasses screwdriver.

3) Insert the screwdriver(or whatever you're using) into the notch and carefully press toward center of the **** . There is a plastic tab holding the **** onto the post. Your screwdriver will depress the plastic tab and release the ****. *** NOTE *** DO NOT force the **** off of the post. It will break the tab. Trust me on this...been there, done that!

4) Pull the **** off. Turn it 180 degrees from it's previous position and re-install onto the post.

5) Push in on the **** and rotate it COUNTER clockwise two clicks, until the heel of the **** points to the "OFF" position and is fully seated.

6) Turn the **** CLOCKWISE as far as it will go and hold it there. Holding it there will retract the locking tab on the back of the face plate. Gently pull or pry outward on the switch plate and it should come right out. The wires are just plugged into the back of the switchplate.

7) To replace the switch plate just turn your **** around to it's original position and push the switch plate back into the dash. The locking tab will click right into place, no need to retract it.

I found these instructions in a post on the message board. There is a website that has illustrations for the whole procedure. I will try to dig it up and post it here.

------------------
2001(Gen I) SuperCrew XLT 4X4, Solid Toredor Red w/Running Boards, Medium Graphite Gray Capt. Chairs, 60/40 Split Rear Bench, 5.4L EFI, 17" 10-spoke Wheels, Class III Trailer Tow Pkg, 3.55 Limited Slip, Sliding Rear Window, AM/FM Cassette w/ 12 Disc CD Changer

Old 04-20-2001, 03:21 AM
Follow those instructions carefully, I didnt and ended up breaking it where the switch cover doesnt stay on the electrical box thing very well anymore =(

Old 04-20-2001, 08:25 AM
Wink

Thanks Ya'll!!! I'm gonna attempt to do this install this weekend. I will take pics as I go, and if it turns out ok, I'll post them on the board.

Wish me luck...

Old 04-24-2001, 08:30 AM
Thumbs up

Well, thanks again for the help! Unfortunately I could not use my stock headlight switch with my new fogs. There was not extra wiring to use on it. So I had to install a seperate switch. It was more work, but worth it! The fogs look great! Now I have to adjust them for best road clarity and add a fuse, and I'll be done!

Quick Reply: Removing Headlight Switch Assembly¿¿¿