Fog Light Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog Light Wiring

Hello all, new here, and new to the Ford family in general. Last week I traded in my 2007 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner for a 2010 F-150 FX2. Anyway, long story short, I've been looking and searching, but haven't been able to find the answer I'm looking for.

In the X-Runner, we had a way of rigging the fog lights to become independent of the headlights. Basically, the main function of this modification was the fog lights would stay on when the brights were turned on. The mod was done inside our fuse box, and involved bending out one of the fuse tabs, and running a wire from it, and splicing it into one of the light wires. I want to do the same thing on the F-150, but looking inside the fuse box, it's very very different, and just don't see a way to do it. Has anyone done this before, or does anyone know of a way to do this on the F-150?

Main reason I want to do this is because I want to use HIDs in the fog lights. Where I drive, I have the opportunity to ride with my brights on a lot, but there is also a chance I have to switch them on and off occasionally. This would not be good for HID fog lights, because them switching on and off is not good for the ballast, which is why I want to find a way to keep my fog lights on.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:32 AM
here ya go.....

09 10 bambi mod post

Old 07-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Well, I ended up talking with my dad about this this morning, and he loves doing electrical stuff. He setup a relay between my hi-beams and fogs, in order for the fogs to stay on when the Hi-beams are on. I looked at the other thread, and it seems what he did was pretty much the same method used. I took some pictures of his work:

The bigger piece in the first picture is obviously the relay. It's wired into the high beams and fogs, and then it has it's own power and ground, then you can see the fuse that he put in the power wire. I'll I have to do to revert it back to factory, is unplug the power from the relay.

The only disadvantage I found to this, is the fog lights will not go off when the high beams are on, even if I turn the fog light switch off. Still haven't figured that one out yet.

Quick Reply: Fog Light Wiring