Blinker troubles.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2000, 07:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like it could be the flasher. If it's not the same side all the time, I doubt it's the bulbs. If it's both sides intermittently, try the flasher... it's only a few bucks at any auto parts store, and should cure your ailment. (Oh, and while you're down there changing the flasher, it's a good idea to double-check those muffler bearings too...)
;-)
-Joe-

------------------
98 Explorer (Lemon Law Case in Progress)

'00 F-150, X-cab, 4x4, Lariat, Off-road, Trailer Tow, Holandia Sunroof, built 11/99 picked up 10/00!
List of planned mods: Clear corners and tails, CB wiring, Stainless brush guard, at least 1 set of KCs (probably more!), custom radar detector mount, color matched trailer hitch with stainless steel ball, torsion bar tweak, bug deflector, spray in liner, and a tonneau of some sort...

93 Probe GT teal, OE rims painted to match, bone stock drivetrain.

Old 12-05-2000, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Is the flasher in that fuse pannel inside my cab?

Old 12-05-2000, 11:12 PM
Erik:
No. They are not the regular flashers that look like a small tin can with two or three prongs coming out of it. These are relays with five or six prongs, they are located under the dashboard, to the right of the steering column, under a plastic cover that will not let you find them. So, turn on your flashers with the engine off and stick your head under the dashboard and find out where the clicking sound comes out of. There are two relays, one for the turn signals, one for the emergency flashers. Part #'s

Flasher F65B-13350-AA
turn sig F0AZ-14N089-A

Try to find the relays by following the clicking noise and trying somebody elses known good relays, if you decide to buy them, they are a dealer only item, about 15.00 bucks apiece. If you still can't find them, I can take a pic or two of the ones in my truck and post them tomorrow.
In my case, it was the turn signal switch bad, 149.00 for parts and labor.
I'll be in Tucson for Christmas, I got two weeks leave.
Roberto

Old 12-06-2000, 12:55 AM
Question Blinker troubles.

I have read the Blinker Thread and my truck does do the fast blinky thing, but not every time mind you or in the same direction. The problem is that I don't know which blinker is hosed. Every time I get the fast blink I am in traffic and I am not going to get out and run around my truck like I used to do for fun. Could there be something else wrong? Do the blinker bulbs look different if they are burned? Oh, I am sure I have enough blinker fluid. I checked.

Thanks!

------------------
--
Erik
etimmer1@home.com

97 150 XLT 4.6L V8
K&N Filter
Vel. Tube (soon)

My Web Page (not much here)

Old 12-07-2000, 12:04 AM
Smile

I guess I will just buy the two relays, $30 is not too much and if that is not the problem I then will have two good spare relays. I hope it's not the switch. Is that easy to repalce if worse comes to worse?

Thanks

Old 12-07-2000, 07:24 PM
eric150az - I have the same trouble with my blinker. It is the right one and I thought my light was going out. We changed them and it was not the problem... finally we realized that it was the blinker unit. It began to effect my hazards too and then the blinkers went all crazy. We took the entire blinker unit out which was not that difficult and opened up the unit. There was this oily stuff all over the inside and we cleaned it up with some alcohol and q-tips. It must have worked because I have had that problem twice since we cleaned it approximately 2 months ago. I know I will have to replace the unit eventually and I will, but this was a great, temporary fix for now.

Old 12-07-2000, 07:29 PM
Smile

Heck, I'll try anything. Where is the blinker unit? I am guessing it is not the blinker relay. Is it under the hood?

Thanks

Trending Topics

Old 12-08-2000, 11:24 AM
eric - I bought an auto repair manual on Fords at Pep Boys and it gives detail on how to remove the blinker unit. You have to remove the top part of the steering wheel to get to the box and it is rather easy. Where your turn signal switch comes out of on your steering wheel, the box is inside there and it works your turn signals, hazards and wipers. It states in the book that it is possible to have a faulty blinker unit and based upon the description of my problems, that it what I believe I have. If you are still under warranty, it may be covered, but in my case, I am not... so I opted to figure it out myself. If you don't have an auto repair book, get yourself one and go from there.

Old 01-04-2001, 05:49 PM
eric - did you ever try to get to your blinker unit?

Old 01-04-2001, 06:43 PM
Not yet. I have been too busy with the holidays and all. I hope to do it soon.

Old 01-11-2001, 05:49 PM
Hey I had the same problem it even caused my brake lights to fail. I first tried the relays but no help. I found the multi-function switch was bad.(turn signal switch) The good news is it only took 15 minutes to fix only a total of 5 screws to remove. Easy fix.

Quick Reply: Blinker troubles.