'flashing' gaugues

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2000, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 'flashing' gaugues

Hi Everyone,

With this recent cold snap that western Canada has received, i've noticed a few new quirks with my truck as of late.

Aside from all the noise at startup, when starting it up in the morning, all the gauges come to life when i allow for the fuel pump to charge itself. Then when i turn the key to start the motor, they all drop dead, reading as though there was no power (acc) turned on.

This happens for about 2 seconds while the engine is running, then they slowly come back to life.

Any suggestions? Anyone else having similar symptoms?

Thanks in advance,

------------------
Bambino Online
Quick Peak at my Ride
1999 reg cab/short box/ORP - 3.55; Double Manual 4x4; factory snapless tonneau; twin 6" kicker sub tubes; Custom Exhaust

Old 12-18-2000, 07:44 PM
Understandable, but this occurs after the motor has been started. everything but the tach dies and then slowly comes back to life - and only in cold temperatures.

This morning it was -20c or about 0F - and it did not occur - but the other morning at about -33c or (i think) -15F - it did happen....

------------------
Bambino Online
Quick Peak at my Ride
1999 reg cab/short box/ORP - 3.55; 4.6l 5sp; factory snapless tonneau; twin 6" kicker sub tubes; Custom Exhaust

Old 12-19-2000, 12:09 AM
I haven't specifically looked at my gauges while cranking the engine in my truck but almost all vehicles are designed to remove electrical power from everything except the fuel pump, ignition and starter motor when the engine is being started. (That's why the radio cuts out when you crank the engine.) They do this to get max electrical power to the starter motor and engine systems during startup. I think what you are seeing is normal.

Old 12-19-2000, 10:18 AM
That is strange. I wonder if the actually ignition switch contacts are sticking when you start the engine due to the cold causing the grease in the switch to be stiff? Or the linkage from the key to the switch might be slightly out of tolerance or sticking, and is affected by the cold.

That's where I would look.

Quick Reply: 'flashing' gaugues