multi function module ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 11:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
multi function module ?

is there a way to test the multi function module (primary air bag module) ? and where is it located? i was told inside cab on trans. tunnel hump. i did a search here, but i guess i cant do that properly either. my blower motor and headlights are staying on with key off/ out. intermittent and running battery down. any help would be appreciated.
i have an '02 screw 4x4 105k miles.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:38 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Do mean Restraints Control Module ( RCM ) ?

This is the only single module for the SRS, and it has nothing to do with the blower motor or headlamps.

Do you mean the GEM ( Generic Electronic Module ) ?

The symptoms you have sound like a GEM that got soaked due to a windshield leak.

The GEM is bolted to the back of the CJB ( aka Central junction Box / cab fuse panel ), and the issue after getting wet is usually corroded pins between the 2 causing problems.

There is not a user test that could be run on it ( don't know that I have seen someone say the dealer could bench test them either ).

You could have to remove the CJB from the truck, and unbolt the GEM from the CJB to check the pins.

Might want to start with checking for signs of water at the edge of the carpet ( where the carpet is up on the firewall ) and behind the driver's side kick panel.

If it is the GEM, the symptoms usually go away after the GEM has dried out, but this only works so long before the pins are too corroded to make contact anymore.

Your search you might have done correctly, it is more so a case of someone told you to search for something that does not exist on the truck.
Seems they crossed MFS ( MultiFunction Switch aka turn signal lever ) GEM and added the functions from the RCM to it.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:31 PM
thanks sscully, i will investigate this gem. i noticed on a similar thread you asked someone if it had been raining and i didnt know why, but yes we have had alot of rain here and my truck sits outside. the last time this happened my daytime running lights came on and some warning lights in the dash too.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I asked to try to focus the symptom to diagnoses.

If it rains a lot, the windshield ( or moon roof I have been told ) will leak causing the problem to show up. Usually once it dries out, the symptoms will go away until it rains again.

Might want to think about having the windshield resealed ( or replaced if it needs it ) to stop the water leaking in ( if it is not the reported moon roof problem some have said ).

Old 12-26-2010, 06:01 PM
how much is a new gem module? is it available from ford only?

Old 12-27-2010, 02:07 AM
Old 12-27-2010, 03:24 PM
I got pissed and in a big hurry i pulled the GEM and fuse block out of my truck,(before actually diagnosing it) now i've read where most people had trouble with windows and wipers and 4X4 not engageing. i have no trouble with these things, my power just stays on after key is off and removed.(in damp or cold situations) I checked for, corrosion,water leaks/seapage etc. nothing. dry as a bone everywhere. and i know what signs to look for. do these gem modules just go bad? i hate to throw $400 dollars at it and not fix anything
any input would be appreciated
could it be a bad battery saver relay?

Trending Topics

Old 12-28-2010, 02:59 PM
update, the GEM module is ok, i caught the leak before corrosion set in. still cost me $330 for new windshield, but i had a couple chips in the old one anyway. we'll see if this fixes it.
thanks to all who helped,

Quick Reply: multi function module ?