Battery or not? again

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2000, 08:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Battery or not? again

OK. I'll figure out this forum stuff yet! Here is the message that I posted yesterday, and quite inappropriately, in the vendor forum.

While driving along (most noticeably at night)there is a sudden dim in the headlights and, if the heater is on, the blower will slow down also. Then, just a quickly, it will all go back to normal. At first I thought it might be a short, but it does not start or end with any bumps or jolts. Once it was dim so long that when I stopped the engine died and would not turn over again. After an hour it restarted like nothing had happened. Someone told me it might be the battery. Any thoughts?

I am also having problems with the door ajar light, but I read elsewhere that a little WD-40 might be the solution.

Any help at all would be appreciated!!!!

As an addition to this long story. I replaced the battery yesterday afternoon and this morning on the way to work it did it again. This time, in frustration, I banged the dashboard in front of the fuse panel. Everything went back to normal. Coincidence? Anybody know of any common problem?

------------------
1997 Extended Cab XLT, 4.6L V8

Old 02-08-2000, 05:31 PM
I would suggest you check that the alternator
is charging properly and that all the connections are good and belt is tensioned properly. Is sounds like the alt. cut out and you were running off the battery. I had this happen to my wifes car a few years ago. the alt. belt broke (in the driveway at least), called the mechanic he said,"bring it on down." I said, "will it make it on just the battery." (about 8 miles in daylight). He said, "sure no problem." Needless to say it made it about half way and they got a tow out of it also. I try to keep an emergency belt on board now.

Hope this helps!

Hobbit

------------------
99 XLT,4.6L Auto,4X4,tow pkge,Factory Nerf Bars and Mudflaps, K&N filter,BugflectorII, Amazon Green/Silver, Pace Edwards Rolltop Cover, maybe a Superchip

Old 02-08-2000, 06:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It does sound like the alternator is not charging properly...?? Very interesting...no common problems with this that are known.

Best of luck!

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55, class III towing package with heavy duty cooling package, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, Pendaliner bedliner, K&N air filter, rubberized undercoating, cabin filtration system, Bugflector II, 5W-30 Mobil 1, engine build 10/4/99

Old 02-09-2000, 08:50 AM
I thought it was the alternator at first, and it may still turn out to be. But.... The time that it died, it restarted an hour later with no problem. Not even a jump. I would think that if it drained the battery it wouldn't start later without a jump??

Anyway, it did it again this morning on the way to work. Once again I banged the dash left of the steering wheel and just above the fuse box and everything went back to normal. I think something is loose in the dash. I'll report back when, or if, I find something.

------------------
1997 Extended Cab XLT, 4.6L V8

Old 02-09-2000, 05:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is VERY weird! You just might have something loose under there!!??

Please do report back on this one!!

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55, class III towing package with heavy duty cooling package, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, Pendaliner bedliner, K&N air filter, rubberized undercoating, cabin filtration system, Bugflector II, 5W-30 Mobil 1, engine build 10/4/99

Old 02-10-2000, 03:42 PM
Bad, loose or dirty ground wire?

------------------
97 F-150 SC Lariat, Styleside, White over Gold, 4.6L (Windsor), Automatic, 3.55 rear end, electronic 4X4, w/ every option of Lariat and ORP packages except the 17" wheels (I even got the OR decals now!) MOD's so far: K&N air box mod, Gibson Super Truck, clear Bugflector II, Leer TSC 600 hard cover, Bridgestone Dueler OWL ATP 265/75 R-16's, TrailMaster Invader N7 shocks, Smittybilt step bars, Ford moulded mud guards, "White-white" head lamps, Cloud Rider Design's SS Grill and bumper opening, Bosch Platinum + 4's, Hayden 30K+ Tranny Cooler,Class III Reece load distributing hitch system and wiring, Superchip

Quick Reply: Battery or not? again