Climate control problem...bad switch??

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 F150 Blend Door Motor INOP

SSCully, Thanks for great details, We have a 2002, I do not think this 2001 Wire DIAG, is the same, No blue wire with pink stripe or any stripe on the connector, I have opened the heater plenum box using the HeaterTreater method, my Blend Door is intact and moves freely, I replaced the air door actuator with a new part and when I plugged it in then turned ign, on, moved heater selector to hot the actuator turned to one position and stopped, I looked at fuses and could not find a bad fuse, I am thinking my next step is to remove the temperature select module and try to troubleshoot it, I am hoping you will have some tips for that. Or even what wires to check for voltage output or some idea? Thank you for your time or anyone esle that can assist.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The wire you would be looking at is on the truck side of the connector it is light blue with a pink stripe next to the black wire. The black wire in pin #8 is ground, so you can use that for the ground on your meter when you test with the key n the run position.

Test the fuses with a meter on both pins on the back of the fuse with it installed and the key is in the run position. It is fuse #5 that you are testing.
- looking at a fuse is not a test.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:20 AM
Did you ever get this temp control switch working? hot cold adjustment actuator motor, mine is dead,

Old 11-27-2012, 10:23 AM
I did remove the heater temp controller panel, on the back of that has the connector with wires and colors with stripes, my fuse panel is not numbered so I will have to count the fuse locations,

Old 12-07-2012, 10:58 AM
Can you tell me how you got to the hot/cold adjustment switch for it's removal and replacement, eg. what part of the panel is removed, etc.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:10 PM
New GEM Module

I recently replaced my GEM module, because i was having problems with my windshield wipers and radio cutting in and out. I got a new GEM module from a junk yard and installed it. Everything seemed to work correctly...my radio, wipers etc.. except i now have no access to heat or air. I have a 2002 f150 fx4 lariat with the push button temperature control. I noticed on my new GEM module fuse panel that the function selector switch fuse port is not available like the original i had in there. The fuse panel is identical but there is no little contacts for the fuse to slid in and stay snug. Is this why i have no air flow? What do i do? Thanks!

Old 12-20-2012, 06:31 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
The GEM module doesn't have any fuse holders or fuses, neither does it have anything directly to do with the climate control system, whether manual or EATC.

Last edited by projectSHO89; 12-20-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:00 PM
just reviving to see if i can get some advice here for my 01 supercrew. i thought i had a bad door, took apart and it was actually o.k. so i visually inspected the actuator motor. i can see it move, but intermittently it doesn't. other times it will move as i adjust the controller, but at times when i set the ****, the actuator will continue to move a little bit like it was trying to adjust itself, this part is really baffling. i can also feel it, cause it was just go back and forth between hot and cold until it settles. so i'm not sure if it could be the actuator or the controller. i'm swaying more towards the controller, unless someone may have better insight. thanks

Old 03-29-2013, 09:19 AM
The controller is easily checked and easy to remove (I'm speaking as a 1999 F-150 owner.) It is a potentiometer and the resistance varies between 300 ohms and 3000 ohms. A couple of month ago I posted a diagram " '99 Air Control&Blend door testing diagram" in this Forum's "Galleries." Look on the right hand side near middle for the controller testing. Incidentally, the shaft on the actuator only turns thru an angle < 90 degrees. For example, at full warm (~3000 ohms) and rotating over to full cool the resistance will go from ~3000 ohms to ~300 ohms, i.e., it decreases linerally during the rotation.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:26 AM
To find the diagram: At the top of this page you will see User CP Photos VinDecoder.... Click on Photos and in the search box enter [testing diagram], which brought up the diagram for me.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:23 PM
This posting is over 2 years old but I thought I would ask this question before starting a new thread.

I am just now having problems with my heat control door not opening.
I was wondering if anyone can tell me where the motor is located to open the heater door on my 2002 f150 Crewcab.
I see a white box located at floor level, in the center of the floor, under the A/C and Heater duct.

I read in this posting where some members could "test" or get to the motor, seemingly, easy.

Not sure if this is the motor I am looking at or is it something else.

Thanks and Have a Great Day

Old 11-17-2015, 07:15 AM
Originally Posted by jraquel
This posting is over 2 years old but I thought I would ask this question before starting a new thread.

I am just now having problems with my heat control door not opening.
I was wondering if anyone can tell me where the motor is located to open the heater door on my 2002 f150 Crewcab.
I see a white box located at floor level, in the center of the floor, under the A/C and Heater duct.

I read in this posting where some members could "test" or get to the motor, seemingly, easy.

Not sure if this is the motor I am looking at or is it something else.

Thanks and Have a Great Day
I think you are referring to the blend door actuator motor and you are looking in the right direction. A couple of years ago I had the problem of "not getting warm air" in the heat mode in my 1999 F150. Actually the problem started way before in both heat and cool; I would try such things as spraying the innards behind the control switches and at times it seemed to work, even thought maybe it was a worn ****, etc, etc. Finally, I was convinced it was a major problem. I ordered a complete F150 Repair Manual I found online. It has ~5000 pages and it has what "we" look for. I managed to get to the blend door actuator and tested it to realize the problem was deep behind the control panel. Actually to make a long story short it was a broken blend door (cheap plastic!) that the actuator opens and closes as the control **** is turned. So it was stuck only allowing partial usage of the A/C - bad news in the winter! It is very labor intensive because the whole dash panel has to be removed to get to the blend door! Although I managed to get a little beyond the first steps in the removal of the dash components I finally gave up. The local ford dealer told me it would cost an arm and a leg. Luckily I found a very good, reliable, honest and reasonable auto repair shop in 2008. He did the job for $462 parts and labor.

Quick Reply: Climate control problem...bad switch??