interior lites and power windows

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
interior lites and power windows

Ok guys,The last day that my truck was on the road last year,my power windows and interior lites quit working.So I left it parked under cover in my garage until last weekend and started to troubleshoot the windows and lite problems.Kept blowing fuse #14 so I replaced the batter saver relay and the interior lite relay,poof,poof, went the fuses.So swapped #4 with #5relay in the passenger fuse box,poof,poof,poof went the fuses.Read somemore posts,removed dome lite and door panel lites, and opened the eng hood to remove hood lite,but I removed the bulb for when I am at car shows so the lite would not come on.Everything starts working.The only lites that were on were the cargo lites.And the power windows work.Installed dome lit,ok,installed passenger door bulb,ok,installed drivers door bulb,ok.Then I got to thinking that when all this happens the eng hood is down and everything goes for crap.When the eng hood is up everything seems to work.So I unplugged the harness to the lite under the eng hood and so far no more poofs. Is it possible that the switch that turns on the hood lite could short out and cause all these problems? Any thoughts on this guys?

Old 04-15-2010, 11:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds reasonable to me. Try taking the switch for the engine compartment off then turn it like the hood is closed. If it blows another fuse then it's the switch.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:53 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Could be the power wire that runs to the tilt switch is chaffed some where.

The under hood light takes power from the instrument illumination circuit out to the tilt switch / bulb holder, and ground is on the other side.

Check the entire harness from the tilt switch to where the wires are mounted, might have to split the loom, could be both the ground and the power are chaffed, and when closed they are touching.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:24 PM
OK It did it again,I went out last night opened the door POOF lites out,I am getting a little p----d about now. How can they work for 30 minutes.then leave it overnite and then open the door and Poof,and Poof is not the word I used when the fuse blew again.I think I am going to take out stock it 15amp fuses as if all ford trucks have this problem I should be able to retire in a couple of weeks!!

Last edited by stage2; 04-17-2010 at 12:26 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 04-17-2010, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by stage2
...<snip>....... How can they work for 30 minutes.then leave it overnite and then open the door and Poof,...<snip>......
If this happened when you opened the hood, or the door ?

How does it happen, you changed the position on the wire somehow. Did you check the wiring to the under hood lamp ?

Old 04-20-2010, 10:36 PM
He Guys,My pc crashed.SSully,all i did was open the door on thetruck and poof.So on the weekend I replaced all the relays and it seems to be working ok now.But have only driven it once since then.Will keep you informed as When the lites go out.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:18 AM

If the door is doing it ( the hood open part was just coincident in testing ) it could also be a chaffed wire in the a-pillar to door connection ( the one for the door panel lamp ).

Keep an eye on it, but checking the hood lamp wiring and the driver's side door wiring is the next step. This will take some time to run all the wires with your hands.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:03 AM
Hey SSCULLY!!!!!!! Took the roush out to the car wash and while vacumming the inside the lites stayed on (interior) and no Poof!!!So I am beginning to think it was one of the relays as I reoplaced all of them and everything seems to be working but the F---ing weather now! Spent 20.00 bucks getting the truck cleaned for it's first show and shine and now it's raining.But thanks for all your help!!!

Quick Reply: interior lites and power windows