Can I install a keyless entry keypad on my 2009 XLT?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I install a keyless entry keypad on my 2009 XLT?

I was very disappointed to find out my new ford didn't come with the keypad that I've learned to love on my other F-150's. Is this something I can install myself or do I really need to pay my ford dealer $100 to install it? Here is the link:

http://www.troyfordaccessories.com/F...626-ba-all.htm

Old 02-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That keypad is a keypad version of the RKE ( Remote Keyless Entry ) fob.

If you do not have the RKE function, this will not work.

It sticks on with double back tape.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
That keypad is a keypad version of the RKE ( Remote Keyless Entry ) fob.

If you do not have the RKE function, this will not work.

It sticks on with double back tape.

Thanks SSCULLY. So what exactly is RKE? I have a key fob with a lock, unlock, and alarm button on it. Is that RKE?

Old 02-09-2010, 03:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kjandb
Thanks SSCULLY. So what exactly is RKE? I have a key fob with a lock, unlock, and alarm button on it. Is that RKE?
That IS remote keyless entry. I believe all XLT's should come standard with it. What you referenced is the stick on keypad. It simply takes the place of what you have in your hand (unless you locked 'em in your truck.) Please tell me the Ford dealer didn't want $100. to INSTALL those. You do realize all you do is peel the liner off the back and stick 'em on the door. About 1 min. for both of 'em.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:34 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes that is the RKE ( Remote Keyless Entry ) fob.

If you get the stick on number pad, the directions for adding a RKE Fob to the truck is in the owners manual.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by code58
That IS remote keyless entry. I believe all XLT's should come standard with it. What you referenced is the stick on keypad. It simply takes the place of what you have in your hand (unless you locked 'em in your truck.) Please tell me the Ford dealer didn't want $100. to INSTALL those. You do realize all you do is peel the liner off the back and stick 'em on the door. About 1 min. for both of 'em.

Yep, they wanted $185 total. Has anyone tried installing one? Will the adhesive back actually keep the keypad in place through car washes, bad weather, etc.?

I'm always afraid of locking my baby in the car on accident and I never had to worry about it in my old ford. I guess I could put a hide-a-key on the truck and get the same results...hmmm.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:29 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Yep, they wanted $185 total. Has anyone tried installing one? Will the adhesive back actually keep the keypad in place through car washes, bad weather, etc.?

I'm always afraid of locking my baby in the car on accident and I never had to worry about it in my old ford. I guess I could put a hide-a-key on the truck and get the same results...hmmm.
I had one for 4 years on my door. Decided to replace the door handle with the keypad built in. I didn't think I would ever get that thing off. They will not fall off, I assure you. Just make sure there is no wax on the paint where you stick it. One other thing. They do not have to be on the door. You can put them anywhere. Under the lip of the bed, between the bed and cab, in a fender well. Anywhere you can touch the keys to enter a 5 diget number. They work great and will save you some money if you lock your keys inside.

Trending Topics

Old 02-13-2010, 12:37 AM
Anyone have any pics of the OEM keypad on their F-150? I'm afraid it won't look good.

Quick Reply: Can I install a keyless entry keypad on my 2009 XLT?