Hi/Lo headlites at the same time - SCULLY?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 01:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi/Lo headlites at the same time - SCULLY?

OK, so after riding in a 02 with PIAA driving lights behind the grill, I can definatly say that this will be an upgrade for me as soon as I can afford the lites.

To that end, I find myself driving at nite with the blinker stalk pulled back all the time (manually) in order to have BOTH hi and lo beams on at the same time. Please no lectures about whether this is lawful or not, it's damn dark around here and I want all the lite I can get. I am running Silverstar Ultras in the main lites, stockers in my fogs right now. I DO NOT want HIDS.

Question is, can I jumper or splice a wire or two and get my Hi and Lo beams at the same time when I push the blinker stalk forward for Hi beams? Regular Lo beams when on Lo.

Thanks for looking

Old 02-02-2010, 07:56 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just had this come about a month ago.

The safe way to have the lo beams turn back on, when the high beams are on, is to add a relay, so the high and low beams are isolated, and using the correct fuse ( the diode add route, puts the lo beam load on the high beam wires, and fuses ).

Some 14 AWG wire, 2 relays, inline fuse holder and some terminal ends, and you are good to go.

Look in the bulb icon, to see which element it is. This using the high beam circuit to trigger 2 relays to power the low beams ( need 2 relays, as the low beams have separate fuses ).

NOTE : Ground both relays the drawing is showing the relay on the right as un grounded, but this is in error. Will update diagram when I get a moment

Last edited by SSCULLY; 02-03-2010 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Note for drawing error until fixed.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:56 AM
WOW - very cool. SCULLY, as I sez before, you are a bona-fi-di electrical god! This will get done this weekend.

Very cool.

One additional question, I expect shorter life spans on the bulbs, but will this hurt my houseings at all?

Old 02-02-2010, 12:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by deerhunter7979
...<snip>....
One additional question, I expect shorter life spans on the bulbs, but will this hurt my houseings at all?
If I had to guess, I would say yes it could have a long term effect on the headlamp housing. This is a lot of head in the plastic housing, and I would suspect ( at least ) they will start to yellow.

A better option might be to upgrade your stock fog lamp bulbs to the Silverstar bulbs, and do the fog lamp switch mod, so they can be on with the high beams.

The factory on your MY I think is a 9140, and the Silverstar is a 9145. This means 40 W to 42 W wattage upgrade, and a light output difference.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
If I had to guess, I would say yes it could have a long term effect on the headlamp housing. This is a lot of head in the plastic housing, and I would suspect ( at least ) they will start to yellow.

A better option might be to upgrade your stock fog lamp bulbs to the Silverstar bulbs, and do the fog lamp switch mod, so they can be on with the high beams.

The factory on your MY I think is a 9140, and the Silverstar is a 9145. This means 40 W to 42 W wattage upgrade, and a light output difference.
This too has already been in my plans. just need to get the funds to get them. I have spent way too much dinero lately on my truck and camera equipment and the financial controller (wife ) is starting to give the evil eye each time I say - "Ya know what would be really cool on my truck...."

I have extra housings from my spare Expy for both the heads and fogs....so long term doesn't really bother me at this time.

I just want some light

Old 02-10-2010, 01:34 AM
Got it done. Works GREAT. Ended up using NAPA female pigtails for some spare 30A relays I had. I wanted to use a slick looking relay block I had, but needed heavier wire to it and it only used 20A relays. In the end, I could not find the female spade connectors for it in order to add heavier wire.

I took pictures. When I get a few days off from school, I will put together the write up.

Quick Reply: Hi/Lo headlites at the same time - SCULLY?