at lost, truck wont start. weird humm

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 01:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
at lost, truck wont start. weird humm

2002 f150 4.2L. i went to replace the pos battery terminal in since old one was pretty bad. after getting the new one on, i went to listen to the stereo in the truck and truck wouldnt start. just a click. so thought dead battery. put the charger on it and checks out fine.

when i turn the ign key on, there is a very high pitch whine coming from the truck ( sounds like the fuel pump but never heard the fuel pump have that high of a whine to it). every 4-5 seconds, the truck will reset itself. i'll hear a click and everything will just reset, stereo, gauges etc.

the click im hearing is coming from the ABS box under the air filter. got any suggestions? im so at lost on this one

never thought replacing a battery terminal would be a headache

Old 01-20-2010, 01:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anybody out there?

Old 01-20-2010, 02:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like you just replaced the cable end with one of those bolt ons? That should work temporarily, but not recommended for long term use on newer vehicles. As far as your problem now, I would guess your battery terminal is not clean or your end is not clean and tight. Best guess I can give now from this vantage point.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:57 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You might want to wait at least to the next day to bump a thread, 32 min is a bit excessive of a bump time.

Did you check the other ends of the battery cables ?

If you had to replace one, chances are the other end could be shot.

When you replaced the one at the battery, what was the reason for this ? If the cable to the terminal was loosing insulation and the cable damaged, could be you did not go back far enough to find good copper in the cable, and you have a poor connection, that under AMP load cannot hold up.

Might want to get a new battery cable ( with factory, high press crimp ends ) and install this and test again.

Quick Reply: at lost, truck wont start. weird humm