spare 12V source in fuse block?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 04:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spare 12V source in fuse block?

Hello All,

Is there a spare 12V source in the fuse block of an 04 F150 that is switched with ignition (doors)

Thnaks...

Old 12-23-2009, 08:20 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What trim level do you have ?

What is the load you are looking for the spare for ?

Old 12-23-2009, 01:14 PM
I have an 04 supercab Lariat.

Looking to add the PIE FRD04-AUX input for the stock CD radio. I read some of the threads for installing this unit but didn't really want to connect it to the cigarette lighter power. The truck sits in the garage for long periods. I use sparingly.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:53 PM

2 ways for this

1. Use the radio lead that is from Fuse #1, this is the Pink w/ Black stripe wire.

2. Use an Add-a-Fuse in slot #1, to make a new fuse for the unit.
Fuse #1, 10A is fed from the ign switch in the Accy/run position from fuse #102, 20A.

Option #2 is the best, when adding the fuse, use a 1A fuse for the branch circuit, the PIE interface does not draw that much power, so it is only for short circuit to ground protection, and it is not adding a lot to the Fuse #102, or Fuse #1 for that matter, so it is not an over load condition for what you are talking about, and this makes the PIE interface run only when the key is on.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:48 AM
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction...

I looked in the owners manual and fuse #1 is run/ accessory wipers and instrument cluster. I'll plan to use this one as you said. I noticed that fuse #22 is delayed power for the radio, door lock and moon roof switch. I think this is the one that keeps the radio on for a certain period of time if the key is not in the accessory mode and will turn off the power if the doors are opened. I'm thinking this one would also be a good choice. I also noticed that fuse #4 is DVD battery power I assume this is constant power? Oh, I also plan to power my satellite and the aux input module. I would think that both would not add up to 1 amp. Any thought on this?

Last edited by hpdiniz; 12-24-2009 at 02:56 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:26 AM

Good catch, don't know where my head was at, Fuse #1 is the radio for the XL, STX trim levels ( manual windows, no accy delay on those 2 trim levels ).

Fuse #4 is hot at all times to the DVD player itself. It is turned on by the audio unit over the medium speed can bus, so that is not what you want.

Double check on the spec sheet, each unit could be ~ 1A, so you might have to go to a 3 A or 5 A fuse with both on the same circuit to keep with the 80% rule. I would think 5A would be the largest you need, but not 100% sure. Add-a-fuse is good to 10A on the branch circuit.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm a bit confused, I was thinking fuse #1 run/ accessory wipers and instrument cluster would work as you first suggested since it looks like it runs off the accessory key position. And since it runs off the upstream fuse which is 20 amps, should work just fine. Only issue I see if that when the key is in the off position, the Aux input and satellite would be off and the radio would be on until the time-out is reached or the door is opened.

I think fuse #22 would make all the audio equipment work the same from a power standpoint but I don't know what the upstream fuse is. Should be enough for a little extra power I would think?

Thanks

Trending Topics

Old 12-24-2009, 02:10 PM

That is the case, fuse #1 will stop the moment you turn the key off, the aux equipment sill turn off, and the radio would still be on.

To get the power to be the same, use the delay fuse for the add-a-fuse location.

Quick Reply: spare 12V source in fuse block?