Temprature-Compass Display

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Temprature-Compass Display

Guys, I have not asked many questions over the years, but I have a situation that is puzzling to me.

I have a 2000 Lariat with 252,000 miles. The last two days the compass/temp display would not illuminate, but after pressing the button that changes it from US/Metric it would come on. Today, it will not come on for anything. This is the first problem I have had with this component in the 9 years I have owned the vehicle.

Anyone have a similar problem with an idea of the source?

DaWG

Old 12-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by DaWG of Indpls
Guys, I have not asked many questions over the years, but I have a situation that is puzzling to me.

I have a 2000 Lariat with 252,000 miles. The last two days the compass/temp display would not illuminate, but after pressing the button that changes it from US/Metric it would come on. Today, it will not come on for anything. This is the first problem I have had with this component in the 9 years I have owned the vehicle.

Anyone have a similar problem with an idea of the source?

DaWG
Most likely, the module has gone out. Should be able to get one off ebay and it's just plug and play. I watched Patrick replace the one in Pam's truck and it was very simple. I think she paid about $60 for the unit.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If it is anything like the Super Duty overhead computers, the resistors came unsoldered.

This is assuming the Mode button was not pressed enough times to turn it off ( think it is English - Metric - Off ), if memory serves me correctly.

If you remove the screw on the front of the console, and pull down on the spring clips on the back ( or screws in the glass compartment, I am unsure this AM on this ).

Once you get it down, remove it from the console, and take a look at the resistors on the module itself ( think it is a torx crew holding it in, like an 8 or 9 ? ).

The Problem with the SuperDuty is the solder actually comes off the module, and the resistor is open, causing the unit to die.

The other thing you might check, is when you remove the module from the switch face, make sure the buttons ( little white square mirco switches ) feel right when pressing them.

Be careful when you take it down, if the resistor is loose, it could be lying in there. You can fit a standard 68 ohm resistor in the holes, but the surface mount resistor is an easier fit.

This is just a SWAG and crosses info from the F-250/350 overhead computer problem to the F-150, this is unproven at this moment, and a total SWAG. This could be all hot air!

If someone has replaced one, I would willing to take a look at it, to see if this holds true to the Superduty problem, and document a how to.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Compass/temp module

Guys, Thanks alot for the input. Now the next question is I cannot find it on the internet. I don't know if I am searching the wrong names or what. I went to Bob Utter Ford site and cannot even locate it as an option there.

I find lots of people talking about it, but cannot find a source.

Does anyone have a part number for this module for a 2000 Lariat?

DaWG

Old 12-11-2009, 08:35 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You can try on eBay, looks to be a few on there with ranging prices ( pictures show the computer ).

1 : 360214674997
2: 370301713937
3: 150393359716

There is a list of part numbers on an eBay listing for repairing any overhead console. 140363595815
Don't know which in that list it is.

If you look on one of the online Ford parts places, it looks to be under the collision catalog

2000 - Ford -F150
Console -> Overhead console -> Overhead console -> Graphite ( or what ever color you need )
You will want to confirm with them, that the 187.29 ( MSRP is 285.97 ) is not just the plastic ( item #1 is the part ).
The picture shows the wiring from the overhead computer.

BTW : If you want me to look at it, I am trying to find out if this is the same problem as the Super Duty. If you ship me the broken one, I'll give it a try before you go buying a new one. I just need to confirm if this is the same problem, and document it for a how to.

Quick Reply: Temprature-Compass Display