04 Heritage-Signal Lights don't work (first problems in cold weather)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 12:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, wow, that looks like it will take some time and concentration to do. But, I have one more new piece of information before I go to the mfs.

When I tilt my steering wheel all the way up, the signal lights work! I didn't realize this because I always drive with it all the way down. I was able to find a few posts on the net that suggested there would be a wiring problem somewhere above the steering wheel if this is the symptom. Are you familiar with this?

If this is the case, how do I get to this section of wire and what do I do to repair/replace them?

Old 08-20-2009, 09:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
OK, did not suggest that, it is usually associated with no stop / turn lamps.

The anti submarine knee panel comes out with a few screws on the bottom.

You are looking for a connector going up to the steering wheel. Usually when there are problems with this, it is the connector pulling apart.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:07 AM
Okay, what is the anti submarine knee panel and where is this "connector going up the steering wheel." How do I get to it? Thanks!

Old 08-20-2009, 11:21 AM

The knee panel, just below where the steering wheel goes into the dash.

Look down by the parking brake release.
To the right of this is the knee panel. There are 2 screws along the bottom ( 2 or 3 ). Pull this off, and the metal bracket behind it, and you will see all the wiring under the dash.

Once this is off, you will get a clear view of the steering wheel column from the wheel to the firewall.

Looking at the diagram, there is only 1 connector on the MFS harness now, on the back of it.

That would tell me time to take the steering wheel cover off, and check the connector on the back of the MFS.

Where the posts you read about the connector pulling apart, or the wires getting damaged ? It was about a '04 to '08 MY truck, not a 97-03 MY truck.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:57 AM
Okay, I think understand the first part, about what the knee panel is. I took that off when I changed the flasher previously. I am not sure exactly what is classified as "the steering wheel cover." Is this dangerous or complicated to remove?

The posts I read were about a 97-03 and referenced exactly the same issue that you described here, so I am fairly confident that this is my problem. I am a rank amateur of the first order though, and am basically just diving in sight unseen; so I really do appreciate your help.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:23 AM

97-03 had a connector behind the knee panel area, that would pull apart, can cause problems ( like no rear turn signals ).

'04 MY did away with that connector, but sounds like you are having a similar problem ( in terms of tilt ). I would guess that to be the connector on the MFS.
The MFS connector is wired directly to the end point ( Fuse panel for some, wiper motor connector for others ).

The steering wheel cover, is the shell over the base, where the MFS and the ign key are at. I guess more correct term would steering wheel column cover ??

There are screws from the bottom that hold it together. You might have to remover the trim around the cluster to get it out without scratching the plastic.

Nothing dangerous about it.

Maybe a cae of the wires are chaffed where they exit the steering wheel column ?? Might be worth running them with your hands before taking off the steering wheel column cover ?

Old 08-21-2009, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
97-03 had a connector behind the knee panel area, that would pull apart, can cause problems ( like no rear turn signals ).

'04 MY did away with that connector, but sounds like you are having a similar problem ( in terms of tilt ). I would guess that to be the connector on the MFS.
The MFS connector is wired directly to the end point ( Fuse panel for some, wiper motor connector for others ).

The steering wheel cover, is the shell over the base, where the MFS and the ign key are at. I guess more correct term would steering wheel column cover ??

There are screws from the bottom that hold it together. You might have to remover the trim around the cluster to get it out without scratching the plastic.

Nothing dangerous about it.

Maybe a cae of the wires are chaffed where they exit the steering wheel column ?? Might be worth running them with your hands before taking off the steering wheel column cover ?
Okay great. Again, I appreciate your help and your great descriptions (which I'm sure must seem very elementary to you). I just went ahead and purchased the shop manuals (the actual ones that the dealership uses) off of ebay. They came in today. There are two volumes and a wiring diagram book as well. I am digging through them now looking for the area you described...

Last edited by Ackms421; 08-21-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Okay, I think I can follow your instructions and remove that cover to see the bare top of the steering column. It seems fairly straightforward.

One more question, though--is there any danger of deploying the airbag while I am mucking around with the steering wheel? Is there some safeguard against this?

Old 08-22-2009, 11:45 PM

The standard line is to disconnect the battery, and wait 10 min ( think that is it ).

From that side, it is very hard to deploy an airbag, but keep in mind this is what I do, that does not make it correct

Old 08-23-2009, 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
The standard line is to disconnect the battery, and wait 10 min ( think that is it ).

From that side, it is very hard to deploy an airbag, but keep in mind this is what I do, that does not make it correct
Lol..

Okay, so if I disconnect the battery and wait ten minutes it is completely impossible for the airbag to employ?

Quick Reply: 04 Heritage-Signal Lights don't work (first problems in cold weather)