Repeate Infuriating Timing Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Repeate Infuriating Timing Problem

I have a 1997 EB 5.4 expedition that I have had back to back electrical problems.

A few months back I had a timing issue that was resolved when I purchased the 5.4 COP pack on ebay. Fixed it right up just took a month of trouble shooting to diagnose. Then right after my whole gauge cluster went down, speedometer wouldn't work. Tranny wouldn't shift. I checked my battery. It was running a low voltage, and then I tested the alt. Sure enough the alt was going down. I replaced the alt with a high output motorcraft housing alt. I'm getting great voltage on my meter now. Today my truck is sputtering just as it did when I had a timing issue, again!

The only thing that every one of these events have in common is they all happened the morning or afternoon after the truck was sitting for 10+ hours, and it rained. But just a light rain. The truck does stay outside no garage as she won't fit with the bike and the wifes car in there. All 3 days where when there way just a light sprinkling. Days when there is a downpour caused nothing that I noticed. I have driven in horrible rain for 4 hours straight and had no problem. The engine runs smooth as butter all the time, it's a rebuild 5.4 2V same year, and the only other issue I have is an ongoing leak in power stearing and radiator. I think the high pressure hoses under the engine are leaking a bit. I cannot figure this out.

Has anyone else had this problem when their truck sits in rain, or I guess light rain?

I'm stumped, and don't want to replace COP's every time it rains.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:44 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Dem beats
Has anyone else had this problem...?
Regardless of the subject, that question is the reason there's a SEARCH function on most BBSs. If you give it a few tries, you'll find out why rain is such a problem for '97-00 trucks.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:49 AM
I did do a search several searchs. I never post without searching. Tried a google search too.

I know people new to forums come on and ask for free info without looking things up first.

I read about 20 of the threads. If you search rain and elecrtical issues you usually get screw automatic wiper problems.

The reason I posed a new thread is as follows.

I do know about the moisture with COPs. That's why I changed them, the same global ones that everyone recomends. I did not grease them I might try to take them out and try that, I can only hope my COPs are not shot I guess. Even when I changed all of them last time I didn't find any moisture in the holes. It's just so odd that it's always the morning after a light rain. I can drive through a monsoon and it seams to be of no problem. I also was wondering if there is a connection between the COP, my alt failing and the water together.

I really didn't want to **** anyone off, that's why I gave as much details as I could. The COP issue with these trucks sucks I know it, but for another issue in less than a week of driving and only 3-4 months time is wild to me.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:06 AM
Technical Article Contributor

When the truck is stumbling ( either current or last time ) did you get a CEL ?

I would have thought if it was a COP ( or is that coil pack, I forget the change over with the engines ? ) that you would have gotten a CEL with a DTC of P030X ( X = cylinder of the COP you replaced ).

The stumble, is it at any speed, or just idle ?

I ask, as if it is only at idle, it could be the IAC on the back of the intake needs to be cleaned, as in it is not opening all the way, and choking off the truck ??

Old 05-21-2009, 11:11 AM
The stumble is JUST like the COP issue.

It may be them again and I will have to replace a grease them this time. My mechanic/cousin in law said it was a waste to use the grease and he never has and that I was dumb for buying non motorcraft.. blah blah blah. I'll just buy the tools and do it myself if I have to this next time

It did throw codes. #6 missfire. It wasn't #6 though becase I replaced just that one, and it would still throw the #6 code. When I replaced the other 7 it went away. I thought maybe his code reader just showed #6 as a generic code for any missfire that it can't specificaly diagnose.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:12 AM
To clarify, not at idle, only under load.

Sorry.

I'm all worked up so my posts might be goofy. My HVAC unit on my house is all crapped out, so I'm stressed, and getting married in a month.

Thanks for the help guys!

Old 05-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

The code reader is not generating the code, the truck is, so that should have been it ( #6 that is ).

Have you taken a look at the rubber seal across the back of the engine compartment ( where the hood / firewall and wiper cowl meet ) ?

There is a rubber seal / strip there that needs to be fully back & not damaged.

The pass side is where the PCM connector is at, if the seal is leaking while sitting, it could be dripping water on the PCM. If the PCM is having issues, it might not be telling the COP to fire ??

This is just a SWAG to check

PS : Good luck with the AC, mine went out last JUL, and 2 weeks after replacing it, we got hit by the leading edge of a tornado, and it got body slammed off the mount, pulled the screws right through the bottom of it. I know exactly what you are dealing with on that topic. 2 times without an AC unit within 60 days. 2nd time used 4; 1/4-20 SS bolts through it with dual 1.5" SS washers on each side. It is going to have to tear the mount off the foundation next time.

Last edited by SSCULLY; 05-21-2009 at 01:01 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 05-21-2009, 01:09 PM
I will check that gasket! Great idea. Hope I don't need to replace any more parts. Everytime I do something goes bad. The replacement alt had the wrong pully so it sat for 3 weeks untill I could get it off.

Bad luck with the AC! I hope mine is just a blown fan motor or a squirelle that ate through the wire.

Thanks again. Best Ford truck forum.

Quick Reply: Repeate Infuriating Timing Problem