New KC slimlites. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New KC slimlites. What to do?

Sorry, bit ignorant on the subject :o .

Got some new KC slimlites(along with bullbar) mounted a week or so ago. Not yet hooked up the wiring for the lights because I'm not sure what I want to do.

Was thinking about getting some kind of "button" that would fit OEM-ish into the stupid coin holder on the dash. Havent really found anything. Anyone know of something?

But then got to thinking about wiring them into my fog lights. Is that possible? Anybody know how to do that? And what, if anything, I'd need to purchase to make that work?

Old 05-18-2009, 01:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Did you get the full kit or 2 light heads ?

Old 05-18-2009, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Did you get the full kit or 2 light heads ?
Oh yea, I got the full kit. Lights, wires, everything.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:43 PM

If you got the full kit with the wiring from KC, there will be 1 of 2 versions.

1. 4 pole relay version

2. 5 Pole relay version

With either version, to have them operate with the factory fog lamps ( so all 4 AUX lamps are on at one time ) use the green wire from the relay to the Tan w/ Orange stripe wire at the back of the fog lamps. No need to run wires into the cab of the truck.

If you want to be able to operate the 2nd set of fog lamps with the factory fog lamps ( be able to run the factory or factory and KC lamps ) with a switch in the cab of the truck.

The wire wire from the KC switch harness is T-tapped into the White w/ Black stripe wire on the back of the main headlamp switch.

Hope this covers what you are looking for, if not please let us know and we can try again.

As for the switch to fill that spot, not much luck there. Would require fabricating a panel over the spot, and mounting the switch to it. The hole is rather large.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the info, SSCULLY. I'll get the KC box out tomorrow and take a look at the wiring harness.

About the "switch" in the dash. I saw someone on here put a Start Engine button in the coin holder hole. Was a perfect fit and looked OEM. That was kinda what i was looking for but only buttons i could find had that text on em. Ohwell, your idea sounds much easier.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:12 PM
SSCULLY, can you explain your first option better/more in depth? Found the orange wire from the factory fogs, and the green wire on the KC's. Do i just find a place on the orange wire and splice it? Does it matter where? Anything to do after that?

Sorry for the questions. I just dont want to screw something up and have to order an entire new harness from KC.

Thanks

Old 05-20-2009, 07:00 PM

It should be a Tan w/ Orange stripe wire & black wire to the fog lamp bulb connector.

If you used a T-tap ( solder, crimp style w/ female spade or Scotch lock ) to the green wire on the KC kit, relay pin # 86, you are all set.

Turn the factory fog lamp switch on, that activates the factory fog lamp relay, which powers the Tan w/ Orange stripe wire.
The power on that wire, activates the KC relay, which powers the aux lamps from the lead to the battery ( Yellow wire to pin 30 above ).

Might want to look into the high beam w/ fog lamp modification, else you are going to loose both sets when you turn the high beams on.

Trending Topics

Old 05-21-2009, 03:22 PM
ok on the switch it has the 3 prongs sticking out. i understand the ground, load or to the relay, but what is the supply for or what do I tap it into? on my instructions it says to the headlight wires....

Old 05-21-2009, 05:08 PM

Do you want the switch to operate the KC lights ?

Sorry thought we had been talking on with the factory fog lamps, as in all 4 lamps on at the same time.

Would you rather be able to turn them on any time the parking lamps are on ?

Old 05-21-2009, 05:45 PM
i just want a switch on the dash so whenever, whereever i want i can turn on the lights. it will not be opperated by my headlights or fog lights or their switch.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by 01f1502wd
i just want a switch on the dash so whenever, whereever i want i can turn on the lights. it will not be operated by my headlights or fog lights or their switch.
Sorry, I missed that from the start of the thread

But then got to thinking about wiring them into my fog lights. Is that possible? Anybody know how to do that? And what, if anything, I'd need to purchase to make that work?
If you want them on with the key in the accessory or run position, you can use an add-a-fuse to the radio fuse for power to the switch. The add-a-fuse would be wired to the white wire, to the switch ( wire everything as normal )

If you want to only have them operate when the parking lamps are on, you can T-Tap the white wire to the brown wire at the main headlamp switch.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:08 PM
so......just a switch and not wired into anything else but the lights them selves?

Old 05-22-2009, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by 01f1502wd
so......just a switch and not wired into anything else but the lights themselves?
Go with the add-a-fuse in the radio position.
Members have said the ATM add-a-fuses are available at Walmart. The Napas by me changed to the clip on one, so they need an inline fuse holder, and warp the fuse slot ( make it too wide ).

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...man-brand.html

Make sure when you put it in, that it is the correct direction ( radio fuse in only, the pigtail should be dead, else it is in backwards

The wire from the add a fuse is what the white wire on the KC switch harness is connected to.

This will allow the KC lights to be used any time the radio would function, so watch that ( i.e. key in assy position listening to radio, etc ).

Old 05-26-2009, 10:42 AM
SSCULLY, havent had time to do this yet.

Have a question though. Actually my brother does. He thinks I could just cut the red/black wires coming from the KC lights and splice them into the tan/orange wire from the fogs. Is that possible? Would i need to do anything else?

Thanks!
Rob

Old 05-26-2009, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by LonestarROB
SSCULLY, havent had time to do this yet.

Have a question though. Actually my brother does. He thinks I could just cut the red/black wires coming from the KC lights and splice them into the tan/orange wire from the fogs. Is that possible? Would i need to do anything else?

Thanks!
Rob
The red wires from pin 87 along with the black ground ?

If this is the case, read on :

Tell your bother : STAY AWAY FROM MY TRUCK !! DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT !

Sorry, your brother has less electrical skills than you do. You know to ask, he is plain old dangerous.

Quick Reply: New KC slimlites. What to do?