Headlights question

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlights question

Guys in addition to my F150, I have a 2002 Ford Taurus. That is what I have a question about today.

Yesterday morning while driving before sunrise (it was truly dark outside)the headlights suddenly shut off. They were off for about 15 seconds and then came back on. The headlight switch was in the Auto position. It was being driven on the interstate with other vehicles around (thankfully we used the lights from the other vehicles to guide us for 15 seconds or so).

Since having the windows tinted the auto headlight function does not allow the headlights to shut off.

What could be the problem???

DaWG

Old 03-28-2009, 10:25 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like 2 problems then ?

1. You had a case of the headlamps turning off, while operating in the autolamp mode
Just the 1 time this happened. Maybe reseat the Autolamp relay in the fuse panel ? Hard to say without the ability to recreate the symptom. Could also be part of problem #2.

2. The headlamps no longer turn off.
This could be a case of the window tint, or just timing, and the Photocell / amplifier has taken its leave.
The test for this is to measure the resistance of the photocell, but I am not sure how hard it is to take it apart to check that operating. The amplifier circuit make it kind of hard to test from the connector from what the service manual shows ( all diagnostic checks with the Autolamp PIDs ).

Maybe try replacing the autolamp photocell and see what happens ?

I am not a big fan of R&R for the sake of testing, but at least make sure you can get another one ( bone yard or online parts dealer ) prior to tearing into the one for the car.

Sorry I don't have a better answer, I would have thought this was the same as the F150, but it is not.

Also from some google'ing some of the Taurus' changed to a soldered in Autolamp relay in the fuse panel ( like the F150 did mid 2003 MY for the fuel pump ), which means Removing the fuse panel, and unsoldering / soldering in a new relay if it is the relay.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my projector headlights

i installed my projector headlights and theres no way i can fit them in correctly and at night they dont light up the street well unless i hit the high beam and only see the right side

i know one is facing higher than the other but what can i do to fit them correctly???

Old 03-31-2009, 02:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Location of Light photocell and Amp

Pay attention to the car direction in the lower right hand corner.

Quick Reply: Headlights question