bull bar driving light help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 06:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bull bar driving light help?

I've mounted a new bull bar on my new 08 F-150. I've heard it's tough to run the running through the firewall to hook up a switch for the lights? Any help on this issue would be great? I'm also looking for ideas and pictures on the brand of lights to get and how to mount them?

Old 02-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not hard to run the switch at all. In the firewall by the break pedal is a rubber plug. Simply make a small cut in that plug and run the wire through there. I've had mine run like this for over a year and no problems.

The lights will mount right up to the bullbar, there should be 2 light tabs welded on that the lights can bolt to.

Brand is a matter of opinion. How much do you want to spend? Do you a specific beam pattern? (fog pattern is short and wide, driving pattern us long and thin) Check out a few different sites and look at the brands. A few good brands are PIAA, Hella, and Lightforce.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Same he said. That rubber plug is where i ran my wires. Found a nice spot for the switch's.
As far as lights go, go with KC hilights. I have 4 on my rig. They are the brightest if thats what you want. If more for driving, Hella are good too.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:40 AM
Originally Posted by NoLongerJeepin
It's not hard to run the switch at all. In the firewall by the break pedal is a rubber plug. Simply make a small cut in that plug and run the wire through there. I've had mine run like this for over a year and no problems.

The lights will mount right up to the bullbar, there should be 2 light tabs welded on that the lights can bolt to.

Brand is a matter of opinion. How much do you want to spend? Do you a specific beam pattern? (fog pattern is short and wide, driving pattern us long and thin) Check out a few different sites and look at the brands. A few good brands are PIAA, Hella, and Lightforce.

Thanks for the info!!! What wire did you tie into for a power source for your lights?

I'm looking for driving lifghts, need to light up the road, lots of animals here in the north!!!

Old 02-27-2009, 07:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're running lights with any kind of power (wattage) at all, make sure you're wiring them properly - with relay in the circuit. If you do a little searching here, you'll find a wiring diagram SSCULLY has posted many times showing the correct way to do it. A relay will draw power from your battery, but have a "trigger" wire that you run either to your switch or to the circuit you want to trigger your driving lights. (Mine are triggered by my high beams.) Wired up correctly, additional lighting can be a real bonus. Wired up incorrectly, it can start one heck of a fire.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry fro the delay, out of town this weekend.

I think this would do the trick for the wiring.

Just below the master cylinder is a grommet through the firewall, this is an easy place to run the switch for the relay.

You can get power for the switch from the brown wire at the main headlamp switch, this is the parking lamp wire. This is only for driving the coil on the relay, not the lights themselves ( as the drawing shows )

Old 03-02-2009, 03:49 AM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Sorry fro the delay, out of town this weekend.

I think this would do the trick for the wiring.

Just below the master cylinder is a grommet through the firewall, this is an easy place to run the switch for the relay.

You can get power for the switch from the brown wire at the main headlamp switch, this is the parking lamp wire. This is only for driving the coil on the relay, not the lights themselves ( as the drawing shows )
SSCULLY: you made it so clear and easy even I can figure it out now!!!!

THanks Chewy

Old 03-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's why he's "da man" here. Thanks again Steve!

Quick Reply: bull bar driving light help?