replacing airbags

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replacing airbags

i just slid my 2001 f 150 into a ditch tonight and was wonding what replacing the airbags your self intales. I know doing it your self is dangerous but jsut wondering if someone has some guiedence of what to expect on a job like this.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:27 PM
disconnect the battery is definately the first thing that should come to mind! i highly recommend a professional do it though b/c there are all sorts of chemicals that are harmful to the skin that are within the bags, i have replaced an airbag or two before and when that stuff gets on your skin it burns and must be washed off immediately

Old 12-10-2008, 12:51 AM
If I were you I wouldnt touch them. For the reasons of premature deployment, and maybe I hooked something up incorrectly, or something vital got busted that I didnt realize, that affects them in such a way to not work. I'd just leave it up to a mechanic. Preferably a ford mechanic. Their vehicle, they've gotta know what their doing (or we'd hope)

Old 12-10-2008, 09:12 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The other thing you need to check is the seat belt tensioners. On my 2001 I had an impact, blew both airbags, and blew the pin in both tensioners, the would not move.

Funny part, the fuel cut off did not pop. The 2006 F250 that pulled out in front of me, his did though.

The replacement of airbags might be easy enough. The shorting bars should take care of detonation issues on the way in. Thing is, you get them in, and have an issue with the SRS system ( flashing airbag light codes ) you might need to take them to the dealer to get fixed, and they might not touch it ???
Then again, you might replace them and the seat belts, and it could be fine ?

Good luck

Quick Reply: replacing airbags